VOGONS

Reply 280 of 1061, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the Duke Nukem 3D issue, to reproduce .

a) cold boot
b) init with unisound enable digital out
c) Set Music card to Sound Blaster in Duke Nukem, but set Sound FX card to none
d) run music test

To "fix" it just run cwdinit from the pv2860 driver set OR cwbinit from the Malibu driver set .
Running UniSound breaks it again .

If the proper Sound FX card is set in Duke NUkem 3D, the Sound Blaster music playback problem does not occur .

I just realized the following
1) CWBINIT does not enable digital out, it just does not disable it if already active, just like CWDINIT. sorry for the confusion generated by my erroneous assumption .
2) The issue with Duke Nukem 3D may be some sort of corner-ish case where without a setting for a Sound FX card to rely on, Duke Nukem 3D defaults to some port address that does not work when inited with UniSound . at least, that is my guess .

I will be more diligent and detailed when reporting an issue next time (if there is a next time) and test more thoroughly as well, to avoid generating confusion through erroneous assumptions .

UniSound settings used :
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H0 P300 T4 J200 C120 U9
c:\orpheus\unisound /C1 /V99 /VW99 /VF99 /L0 /VC99 /XOFe /XOS1

Reply 281 of 1061, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:59:

UniSound settings used :

Please start here:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H0 P300 T4
c:\orpheus\unisound /C1 /V99 /VW99 /VF99 /VC99 /XOS1

I don't recall seeing any /Lx command in unisound, what is it?
Also no need for XOFe.
Can you test these settings and report?
Cheers!

Reply 282 of 1061, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
640K!enough wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:36:
darry wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:21:

I apologize if I sound like I am complaining or unhappy or a serial nitpicker (ok that last one may be true 😉 ).

Do I know you from somewhere, fellow "serial nitpicker"?

Quebec is a small province . I used to work for a company that owns one of the bigger cable plants in the province and I did attend college briefly in Sherbrooke (before dropping out). I was also a spectator at both NAID Apraxia demo compos (I attended the CEGEP were they were held at the time) . Or maybe we are neighbors and don't realize it . 😉

Thank you for the explanation regarding initialization, for my benefit and surely that of others as well.

Reply 283 of 1061, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marmes wrote on 2020-11-01, 17:07:
Please start here: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H0 P300 T4 c:\orpheus\unisound /C1 /V99 /VW99 /VF99 /VC99 /XOS1 […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:59:

UniSound settings used :

Please start here:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H0 P300 T4
c:\orpheus\unisound /C1 /V99 /VW99 /VF99 /VC99 /XOS1

I don't recall seeing any /Lx command in unisound, what is it?
Also no need for XOFe.
Can you test these settings and report?
Cheers!

Sorry about that typo . I corrected it (added the missing "V" before the "L"), cold booted and tried again with the same results .
I then tried the exact command line you suggested (I normally keep the /XOFe there only because it's easy to change to /XOFi when needed) , cold booted and tried again with the same results .

Reply 285 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also just tried it with Duke3D setup - it works with SB/music and SFX/none
maybe it's the game version?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 286 of 1061, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This definitely a corner case almost certainly not worth "fixing" .

First a bit of context. I also have an AWE64 in that machine and I used to used to have an Audiotrix 3D/XG installed, which I replaced with the Orpheus .
Both the Orpheus and the AWE64 listen on port 388h , as I have never had issues with this setup before (both cards play FM at the same time and I mute the one I don't want on my external mixer). With the Orpheus, things may be different .
For reference, my AWE64 uses the following resources : ports : 280h 680h 330h, IRQ5 , DMA 3, DMA 5, whatever the joystick uses and of course port 388h .

When both the AWE64 (CTCM and aweutil /s) and Orpheus (UniSound, I set the proper blaster variable first) are initialized, in that order AND I set Sound FX card to none in Duke Nukem 3D after a cold boot, the following occurs .

a) FM Music test works in Adlib mode, BUT not in Sound Blaster mode on Orpheus
FM Music test works in Adlib mode AND in Sound Blaster mode on AWE64

b) If I CWBINIT.EXE is run
FM Music test works in Adlib mode AND in Sound Blaster mode on Orpheus
FM Music test works in Adlib mode BUT not in Sound Blaster mode on AWE64

c) If I CTCM.EXE is run
FM Music test works in Adlib mode BUT not in Sound Blaster mode on Orpheus
FM Music test works in Adlib mode AND in Sound Blaster mode on AWE64

The "issue" may not be due to the conflict on port 388h , but I believe is almost certainly due to having multiple cards .

TODO (for me) :
1) Resolve port 388h conflict and try again
2) If 1 is not successful, use UniSound to init AWE64 and try again .

EDIT: Sorry for the wild goose chase .

Reply 287 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well if the 2 OPL variants occupy the same address they also reply at the same time which could explain why this happens
did you try to remove AWE64 just for testing? or move it's opl device to another port?

btw the CS4237 fully supports external OPL usage, so it's not just a slapped OPL3@388h it will also respond to the SB ports so weirdness can also happen with other titles as well if both opl listen and respond at the same time

edit: bah now I realized you have awe64@280h so no SB opl access wont be the same, just adlib pors 388h will be the issue

Last edited by keropi on 2020-11-01, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 289 of 1061, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's easy to initialize full AWE64 with Unisound (zero creative files needed) and remap the adlib port. Instead of 388h you can remap it to 398h using "Fxxx" BLASTER option in Unisound:
SET BLASTER=A280 I5 D3 H3 P330 E680 F398
UNISOUND /Cx (x your card number in PnP list, checked with UNISOUND /CL)

Reply 290 of 1061, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JazeFox wrote on 2020-11-01, 19:03:

It's easy to initialize full AWE64 with Unisound (zero creative files needed) and remap the adlib port. Instead of 388h you can remap it to 398h using "Fxxx" BLASTER option in Unisound:
SET BLASTER=A280 I5 D3 H3 P330 E680 F398
UNISOUND /Cx (x your card number in PnP list, checked with UNISOUND /CL)

I just tried with F0, but the odd behavior still remains . The only thing that changes is that the AWE64 no longer produces music when FM Adlib is chosen as an option .

I wonder if this behavior is a weird kink in Duke Nukem 3D or if other programs display it .

If I had the skillset, I would try running Duke Nukem 3D's setup through a debugger to test what port address it's actually writing to .

EDIT : Corrected a typo . And retrying from cold boot, making sure that aweutil /s and mixerset were also commented out in autoexec.bat, just in case, yielded same results .

Reply 291 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what if you go completely nuclear and remove the AWE just for testing?

Reply 292 of 1061, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I tested adding an AWE64 to my test setup
AWE64 configured with: A280 I5 D3 H3 P330 E680
And the settings for the Crystal: A220 I7 D1 H0 P300 (and /XOS1 /XOFi)
Still can't reproduce your issue. FM is working OK . (didn't even have to remap the FM address)

Duke3D setup version 1.4

There must be something different in your setup....

Reply 293 of 1061, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I think I could reproduce something similar to your issue...
If you select "None" for the FX card in Duke setup BUT before doing it , sound blaster base address in FX setup was set to anything different to 220 (in your case, Orpheus), (I set it to 280 to test, where my AWE is), then select "None" after that in FX and set "sound blaster" as music card, and test music... FM sound is not heard.
Then you set FX card and set address to 220. (then music test will work, obviously). Then change FX card to "none". Repeat music test. It works.

Reply 294 of 1061, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JazeFox wrote on 2020-11-01, 19:38:

Ok, I think I could reproduce something similar to your issue...
If you select "None" for the FX card in Duke setup BUT before doing it , sound blaster base address was set to anything different to 220 (in your case, Orpheus), (I set it to 280 to test, where my AWE is), then when selecting "None" after that and set "sound blaster" as music card, and test music... FM sound is not heard.
Then you set FX card and set address to 220. (then music test will work, obviously). Then change FX card to "none". Repeat music test. It works.

I am an idiot and I apologize .

It was blaster variable being reset to 280 , etc at the end of autoexec.bat .
In the absence of of a sound FX setting to the port address from, Duke Nukem 3D has to use something to know where to write to the OPL3. That is obviously the blaster variable .

Running CWBINIT.EXE or CWDINIT.EXE resets the blaster variable to 220 for Orpheus

Running CTCM resets it to 280h for AWE64 .

And there was a forgotten set blaster variable for the AWE64 at the end of my autoexec.bat

FACEPALM!

EDIT : I am in newb mode since yesterday, it seems .

Reply 296 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice nice , good to see it resolved
please report everything even if it turns out to be a non-issue 😀

Reply 297 of 1061, by Spazilton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-10-28, 09:31:
Spazilton wrote on 2020-10-27, 22:13:

Still waiting on mine, haven’t got any tracking or shipment info yet.

you should have an email from marmes about tracking number since yesterday

I waited a few extra days and there is nothing in my email. I know you guys are beyond reputable, I'm just looking to get a tracking number when you can. Can I PM you the order details?

Reply 298 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Spazilton wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:54:

I waited a few extra days and there is nothing in my email. I know you guys are beyond reputable, I'm just looking to get a tracking number when you can. Can I PM you the order details?

this is weird, sure PM me your name it will be enough!