VOGONS

First post, by Xebec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings folks! My first post here..

I am restoring a Pentium MMX 200 / 430TX system; and i'm having problems with my SB AWE32 and trying to determine if it's hardware or software. Model CT3910.

System is running MS-DOS 7.1/WIN98 SE. I'm using IDE (4GB CF) and the onboard USB ports for mouse/storage. System is running on an old (but physically clean) 230W AT PSU.

Using DIAGNOSE.EXE during a DOS boot or under Windows, FM sound and AWE32 "advanced effects" music *always* works, and sound clear.
However, The 8-bit and 16-bit digital sound either doesn't work at all; very rarely plays clearly for a few seconds, plays but is very garbled, and/or emits a bunch of static/noise only.

If I have a very noisy sound output that hangs around (such as after booting up Win98), once I open a DOS window and run diagnose.exe, immediately after selecting the first base setting (220H I think), the noise cuts out. Then of course forwarding to the output options, above is what still happens.

I've tried:
- PNP-Aware OS to NO in BIOS
- Disabled power management
- RAM test a few times in DIAGNOSE.EXE = pass
- DIAGNOSE.EXE: Tried various DMA/IRQ settings; no high DMA, yes high DMA, IRQ 2, 5, 7, 10, DMA 1, 3, 5, etc.
- Removed the PCI NIC -- so the only cards are video (ATI Mach64) and the Soundblaster. Maybe placebo seemed to help a little with making digital sound work a little more.
- Used Phil's Computer labs updated win95/98 drivers
- Tried different DIAGNOSE.EXEs -- both SB16 versions and SBAWE32 found on Vogons Driver repository.
- Headphone jack vs. Line out jack - no difference, just headphone is louder/too loud for my line in on stereo
- Warcraft 2 Battle.Net edition -- the digital sounds (i.e. Orc chopping wood) always works, but the music either doesn't work at all, or plays noise-ily as per above. The game runs OK - I don't see any weird system hanging going on.
- Reinstalled Sound drivers in Windows a few times
- REM'd the SET BLASTER stuff in Autoexec.bat
- I cannot switch it to another ISA slot as both slots would interfere with the processor. (unless I run the MMX without a heatsink, maybe I underclock to 2/2.5x50 MHz and try that?..)
- Manually set IRQ 5 / DMA 1 / DMA 5 to "Legacy/PNP" in the BIOS and set the card to match; no change
- The BIOS has a early 1998 date, have thought about updating but haven't tried it yet.

I don't think it's the cable given the FM and AWE32 output is consistent, clean, and will work for several minutes.

The card does have a layer of old dust on it, so I think my next step might be to get a good brush and try to clean it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. I've at least briefly inspected the capacitors and I don't see anything leaking. I only have another untested SB Vibra 16S but that appears to have some damage from a cap that appears to be missing. I do not easily have another ISA bus system to try this card on. I also do not have another PCI video card handy to swap in.

Other Thoughts? Is the digital sound run through a specific portion of the card or chips I should more carefully examine?

Attachments

• sbawe32.jpg
    Filename
    sbawe32.jpg
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a different ISA slot, assuming you have more than one? Oh I see your comment about it blocking CPU heatsink.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try cleaning the edge connector. I use soft pencil eraser, but some people on here seem to think that doing that is of the devil even though I have been using that same method for over 20 years with no ill effects.

Same thing goes for the ISA slots themselves. They very likely are oxidized and may be contributing to a poor connection.

I fold up printer paper so it gives a bit of resistance in the slot and then insert and remove a few times until the paper stops getting black lines on it.

You can also use deoxit spray.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Xebec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-15, 02:48:
Try cleaning the edge connector. I use soft pencil eraser, but some people on here seem to think that doing that is of the devil […]
Show full quote

Try cleaning the edge connector. I use soft pencil eraser, but some people on here seem to think that doing that is of the devil even though I have been using that same method for over 20 years with no ill effects.

Same thing goes for the ISA slots themselves. They very likely are oxidized and may be contributing to a poor connection.

I fold up printer paper so it gives a bit of resistance in the slot and then insert and remove a few times until the paper stops getting black lines on it.

You can also use deoxit spray.

Tried this and no go - but it did get some gunk out of the slots! thank you!
I did scrounge up a Vibra 16S that plays digital sounds appropriately in any ISA slot, so I suspect the caps are going bad on the AWE32 or one of the chips is flaky.. I'll start testing the caps later this weekend.

Thanks all!