VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found this in a spare parts box I had forgotten about. Is it a suitable replacement adapter for MT-32/Sound Canvas devices? It's a pretty heavy adapter, so I opened it to check and there is a transformer inside, so it's not a cheap switching power supply..

Panasonic-9-V-DC-Adaptor.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Polarity and voltage are right.
SC-55 states a power requirement of 500mA on the back so it will do.
MT-32 states 650mA so this PSU is probably undersized.

What's wrong with using a switching PSU on your Roland devices btw?

Reply 2 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-01-16, 09:45:
Polarity and voltage are right. SC-55 states a power requirement of 500mA on the back so it will do. MT-32 states 650mA so thi […]
Show full quote

My experience is that they cause a lot of noise and crackling..

Reply 3 of 10, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bookmarked this post about Roland power supplies a while back: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2020-01-16, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 4 of 10, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-16, 10:02:
Polarity and voltage are right. SC-55 states a power requirement of 500mA on the back so it will do. MT-32 states 650mA so thi […]
Show full quote

don't the midi modules have internal linear regulators anyways?

Reply 5 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-01-16, 13:04:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-16, 10:02:
Show full quote

I don't know.. but the El Cheapo switching supply I used with my SD-35 did not impress me 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this is of interest to me too ^^, because I wanted to build one big universal power supply for my midi tower so I don't have a dozen power bricks to deal with, and I haven't decided yet if I want to go multiple tranformers or using a switch mode supply with DC-DC converters for the appropriate voltage ranges.

Reply 7 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know the MT-32 and my MT-200 both have linear regulators in them. I use the newer PSB-120 Roland bricks with my modules. The exception is my SD-20. I came with its original jpn adapter but as I actually have about 123v average coming into my home I didn't want to use it. So for my SD-20 I use an old sega Genesis model 1 PSU.

I've not held an SC-55 in my hand so I don't right off what amperage it requires. But my MT-200 needs 1a on its specs.

I actually use a single power supply brick for my Sega Genesis, SegaCD, and 32x. It is a converted gamecube power supply. That supply puts out 13v at 3a. Plenty to drive all three devices at once. So I would imagine something like that could easily be done for a Midi tower of modules. Just have to see if they all use the same input voltage and add up their required amperage. Then get a PSU that puts out the needed volts and combined amps and splice away with adapter wires to each module.

I've heard that a PS2 slim power brick is also a good candidate for something like.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 8 of 10, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, if only they weren't deciding the voltage requirement completely at random ^^
it ranges from 9V for the Roland ones to 12V and 15V for Yamaha.

though it's not even always clear cut that the advertised voltage requirement is actually the one needed, for example the Yamaha TG100 says 15V but is said to work just fine on 12V.
so I guess 9V and 12V would be enough to power most, some have internal power supplies.

also the new roland PSUs are switch mode as well afaik, so I'd think if it is a decent one it shouldn't matter.

Reply 9 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-01-16, 13:04:

Regulators are not filters, although input filtering is something I would expect from a company such as Roland.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reality is that even if the module states it needs 15v it likely only has a 12v at most regulator in it and says it needs 15v due to the vdroop it puts on the PSU when loading it down perhaps? The Gamecube supplies are switching also and with or without a load the one I have is a steady 13v output all the time.

As for the newer Roland PSUs, they are switching type yes but I've not experienced any noise from them. Then again, I would hope they have designed them to not be noisy. Now something I did find odd is that I've used my Genesis PSU on my MT-32 and MT-200 when I first got them as neither came with PSUs when I purchased them used. My MT-90 did come with its PSU and I've found that I get a horrible buzz from the speaker on it if I use anything other than that original PSU? Doesn't matter, the MT-90's samples don't sound as good as my MT-200 and certainly not as good as the SD-20. As a result the MT-90 is related as a Midi jukebox in my hobby room and not part of my Midi setup on my PC.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20