VOGONS

First post, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have a plan to build 486DX4-100 system and wonder if the SB 2.0, CT1350B works well or not.
Somewhere I remember saw an post about old sound cards, probably SB Pro2 earlier era ones and those cards may sound odd in faster machines of pentium or more class. Because some old sound cards use system clock for FM generation, too faster system clock may result in abnormal sound generation.
Is it true some old sound cards may not work well in 486 or more faster machines? And how about CT1350B in 486DX4-100?

Reply 1 of 16, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bus speed is not affected by cpu speed. Some sound cards have their own crystal, others rely on the bus.

The problem is speed sensitive games, and yes they are a problem. Not just for sound, but running generally. And yes 486 is too fast for many of them. Best bet is to upgrade to a Pentium MMX and use setmul to get slow 386 speeds which is ok for most late 80s early 90s games.

Reply 2 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT1350B is indeed a speed sensitive card. Maybe it's the controller ICs it has maybe the way it is designed but it does crap out on fast systems.
I am not sure if 486/100 will have issues but a pentium1 certainly has.
Maybe it is better to use the CT1600 instead ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some old software, when run on a fast CPU, may have problems detecting/operating the sound card, especially if the sound card is old and based on slow components - eg. OPL2 is known to need relatively long delays between accesses to its registers.
However, a 486 is easily slowed down, by switching it to de-turbo and/or disabling caches, which should solve such issues.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A game running on the same pentium system on full speed will fail with CT1350B but will be OK with CT1600
could just be the opl2 in the card - it certainly does not help with fast systems
this is beyond a software issue of a game's sound driver crapping out due to system speed with the 1350B you have both hardware and software speed sensitivity issues sadly

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regardless of speed issues, the CT1350B is mono and noisy so I wouldn't use one in a system that will have DOOM installed - I think it's a universal law that all 486s have to have DOOM installed? A SB Pro 2 or SB16 is the ticket

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2020-01-19, 01:48:

Regardless of speed issues, the CT1350B is mono and noisy so I wouldn't use one in a system that will have DOOM installed - I think it's a universal law that all 486s have to have DOOM installed? A SB Pro 2 or SB16 is the ticket

Or one of the better SB Pro workalikes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 16, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-01-18, 09:18:

CT1350B is indeed a speed sensitive card. Maybe it's the controller ICs it has maybe the way it is designed but it does crap out on fast systems.
I am not sure if 486/100 will have issues but a pentium1 certainly has.
Maybe it is better to use the CT1600 instead ?

I’m considering install two sound cards, CT3900 AWE32 for windows 95 and CT1350B SB 2.0 or CT2600 SB Pro 2 for DOS. Therefore I want to gather more pros and cons about SB 2.0 and SB Pro 2 in the 486 system.

Last edited by ychh0 on 2020-01-19, 04:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-18, 09:05:

Bus speed is not affected by cpu speed. Some sound cards have their own crystal, others rely on the bus.

The problem is speed sensitive games, and yes they are a problem. Not just for sound, but running generally. And yes 486 is too fast for many of them. Best bet is to upgrade to a Pentium MMX and use setmul to get slow 386 speeds which is ok for most late 80s early 90s games.

Yes. It must be bus speed. Normal ISA clock speed is 8MHz I remember. How about 486 system? If the bus speed of 486 system is the same as 8MHz, the bus speed will not be a problem for SB 2.0 in the 486 system, isn’t it?

Reply 9 of 16, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m considering install two sound cards, CT3900 AWE32 and SB 2.0 or SB Pro 2. If there is already one option of using AWE 32 and want to install another one, which one will be better?

Reply 10 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run a CT1600 in my Pentium 90 and it has no speed issues other than the software that doesn't like fast CPUs. I run a CT1320C in my 286 8Mhz which works well there.

Reply 11 of 16, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ychh0 wrote on 2020-01-19, 04:48:

I’m considering install two sound cards, CT3900 AWE32 and SB 2.0 or SB Pro 2. If there is already one option of using AWE 32 and want to install another one, which one will be better?

What do those other cards do that the AWE32 don't?

Reply 12 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-19, 05:28:

What do those other cards do that the AWE32 don't?

CMS
SB Pro in stereo

Now, is it possible to install all three cards in one PC?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 13 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-01-19, 08:31:

Now, is it possible to install all three cards in one PC?

Well, there's another way (among many others) of archiving that..
- Goldfinch Card for EMU8K support
- WSS card for OPL3 and SP Pro Stereo and 16-Bit PCM
- A Creative Music System (Gameblaster) clone

😉

Edit:
A combination that I once did was this:
- PAS16
- SB16 CT1740
- Goldfinch Card

That way, I got two 16-Bit DACs (SB16/PAS16) and two 8-Bit DACs (SB16/Thunderboard)..
Although configuration was a bit of a mess (OPL3s conflicted a bit until solved).

However, that way, I got a real MPU-401 and and EMU8000 synth as an extra.
Anyway, a Sound Blaster 32 (SB32) and a PAS16 or WSS/SB Pro likely would have been sufficient. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the WSS has SB Pro compatibility. Prove me wrong, please. I just got one and have yet to configure the DOS drivers, so for now all I have is OPL3 in DOS. I would love to play Wolf3D in stereo.

Reply 15 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ychh0 wrote on 2020-01-19, 04:38:

Yes. It must be bus speed. Normal ISA clock speed is 8MHz I remember. How about 486 system? If the bus speed of 486 system is the same as 8MHz, the bus speed will not be a problem for SB 2.0 in the 486 system, isn’t it?

ISA is 8MHz, period. (Plus/minus a fraction depending on the systems front-side bus and the divider. E.g., 33MHz / 4 is not 8.000, but it'll do.)

The speed issue with early cards is not the bus, it's how fast the sound card's onboard controller responds to commands issued by the CPU. The CPU and the sound card can only speak at 8MHz to each other, but faster CPUs with faster caches will chew through instructions faster than a 286 will. So, it might say "Hey Sound Blaster, you there bro?" and then walk away before the slow SB 2.0 has a chance to say "uhhhh, yup. Iiiii'mmmm heeeerrree alllllright." Or it might give the SB DAC or the OPL2 a list of things to do faster than the DAC or OPL2 can write them down, which overruns them and leads to glitches.

IMO, there is no reason to put more than one Sound Blaster card into a computer. If you want stereo, don't add an SB Pro / SB16 to a Sound Blaster 2.0. Just use the Pro/16. Same for the AWE. An AWE is an SB16 + onboard wavetable MIDI. People talk about the problem of not having true stereo SB Pro compatibility with an SB16/AWE, but if you make a list of all the games that support SB Pro but not native SB16, it will be a short list.

486 + SB16 = <3 Add a Goldfinch or replace with an AWE if you'd like. Stick the SB Pro in your 386 / 486SX. The SB 2.0 goes in a 286 or 386SX.

Reply 16 of 16, by Mvickers03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haha! love the scenario

SirNickity wrote on 2020-01-21, 20:51:
ISA is 8MHz, period. (Plus/minus a fraction depending on the systems front-side bus and the divider. E.g., 33MHz / 4 is not 8. […]
Show full quote
ychh0 wrote on 2020-01-19, 04:38:

ISA is 8MHz, period. (Plus/minus a fraction depending on the systems front-side bus and the divider. E.g., 33MHz / 4 is not 8.000, but it'll do.)

The speed issue with early cards is not the bus, it's how fast the sound card's onboard controller responds to commands issued by the CPU. The CPU and the sound card can only speak at 8MHz to each other, but faster CPUs with faster caches will chew through instructions faster than a 286 will. So, it might say "Hey Sound Blaster, you there bro?" and then walk away before the slow SB 2.0 has a chance to say "uhhhh, yup. Iiiii'mmmm heeeerrree alllllright." Or it might give the SB DAC or the OPL2 a list of things to do faster than the DAC or OPL2 can write them down, which overruns them and leads to glitches.

IMO, there is no reason to put more than one Sound Blaster card into a computer. If you want stereo, don't add an SB Pro / SB16 to a Sound Blaster 2.0. Just use the Pro/16. Same for the AWE. An AWE is an SB16 + onboard wavetable MIDI. People talk about the problem of not having true stereo SB Pro compatibility with an SB16/AWE, but if you make a list of all the games that support SB Pro but not native SB16, it will be a short list.

486 + SB16 = <3 Add a Goldfinch or replace with an AWE if you'd like. Stick the SB Pro in your 386 / 486SX. The SB 2.0 goes in a 286 or 386SX.