VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xtreger wrote on 2024-03-31, 12:22:
[...] 1. boot and press F8 -> start in MS-DOS mode 2. and run the command: XMSDSK 32000 /t […]
Show full quote

[...]
1. boot and press F8 -> start in MS-DOS mode
2. and run the command: XMSDSK 32000 /t

Is this it? Or anything I'm missing?

do a MEM and see how much XMS you get (probably 64mb)
then like you write but with more mem allocated: XMSDSK 50000 /t /y
after the game finishes you can unload and free the memory with: XMSDSK /u /y

/y switch does not produce the "are you sure y/n" prompt if you are curious about it
/t switch allocates memory above the 16MB barrier for DMA reasons that some games have issues, better have it all the time enabled

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41 of 48, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-03-31, 16:29:
do a MEM and see how much XMS you get (probably 64mb) then like you write but with more mem allocated: XMSDSK 50000 /t /y after […]
Show full quote
[...] 1. boot and press F8 -> start in MS-DOS mode 2. and run the command: XMSDSK 32000 /t […]
Show full quote

[...]

/y switch does not produce the "are you sure y/n" prompt if you are curious about it
/t switch allocates memory above the 16MB barrier for DMA reasons that some games have issues, better have it all the time enabled

I followed your instructions. Initial mem gives this screen: https://imgur.com/a/csJMgaa
And then after using xmsdsk 50000 /t /y, entering mem gives: https://imgur.com/a/Dp1BXtQ

Running aladdin still gives XMS allocation error. I'm guessing that 50 Mb should go into the Free column instead of the Used column? Any idea on what I should try now?

Reply 42 of 48, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-03-31, 16:29:
do a MEM and see how much XMS you get (probably 64mb) then like you write but with more mem allocated: XMSDSK 50000 /t /y after […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

[...]

I tried this but it still didn't work. (ref. my last message in thread)

Reply 44 of 48, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAZter wrote on 2024-04-05, 12:47:

just use EATXMS program, to eat extra XMS over 32MB

I think XMSDSK is better, because it can be unloaded, while EATXMS, AFAIK, is irreversible until reboot.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 45 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xtreger wrote on 2024-04-05, 12:44:

himem.sys reports 2GB of XMS? am I seeing this correct?
also what is the deal with the SB16 emulation driver error that does not load because you do not have EMM386 loaded?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 46 of 48, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-04-05, 13:50:

also what is the deal with the SB16 emulation driver error that does not load because you do not have EMM386 loaded?

Ignore the sb16 emulation thing. That was some autoexec code that I forgot to remove. Even with a clean autoexec file, I see pretty much the same screens. And I don't know what "2,096,21" is supposed to mean. The units for conventional, upper and reserved memories are indicated by the letter K. But for extended it's this "2,096,21" total and "2,046,21" free.

Even after running xmsdsk 50000 /t /y command, ALADDIN shows the xms allocation error. Also I don't get why this 50 megs of memory gets assigned to the "Used" column as against "Free".

Reply 47 of 48, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xtreger wrote on 2024-04-08, 12:46:
keropi wrote on 2024-04-05, 13:50:

Ignore the sb16 emulation thing. That was some autoexec code that I forgot to remove. Even with a clean autoexec file, I see pretty much the same screens. And I don't know what "2,096,21" is supposed to mean. The units for conventional, upper and reserved memories are indicated by the letter K. But for extended it's this "2,096,21" total and "2,046,21" free.

Even after running xmsdsk 50000 /t /y command, ALADDIN shows the xms allocation error. Also I don't get why this 50 megs of memory gets assigned to the "Used" column as against "Free".

Any help with this? Seems like many people have an idea on how to use xmsdsk. If anyone's faced the same issue and solved it before, please let me know..

Reply 48 of 48, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xtreger wrote on 2024-04-08, 12:46:

The number after XMSDSK shows how much memory to use, not how much to leave free.

In your case, since your HIMEM.SYS shows 2GB of RAM (is that the actual memory you have installed?), you should probably use something like XMSDSK 2075000, assuming it supports such sizes.

I also recall a discussion which showed you can use built-in Windows capabilities to create a shortcut to your DOS program, which will limit the XMS/EMS size visible to the program. See here: Re: Dune II Refuses to Run on Win98SE and here: Re: Dune II Refuses to Run on Win98SE

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys