VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would it be possible to make an OPL3LPT & an SBPro compatible soundcard (Aureal Vortex 2 in my case) work in tandem for sound output in DOS?
If possible, I trying to find a way to bypass the FM emulation of the Vortex 2, to get FM synth through the OPL3LPT, and speech/sfx from the Vortex 2.

Reply 1 of 4, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it is possible, as soon as games are patched to output to OPL3LPT instead of the default AdLib port, and also Patch the games that output to 2x8/2x9 for the OPL3LPT then the FM emulation on the Vortex wouldn't play, and you could route the OPL3LPT to the line in of the Vortex instead.

Reply 2 of 4, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you btw, better late than never 😜
Going to try this out with an upcoming build, since I can only fit one soundcard. I'm surprised that nobody seems to have gone down this road yet, given the popularity of thin clients for DOS gaming.

Reply 3 of 4, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To spin this a bit further, and since I have no experience with WaveBlaster add-on boards:
Would using a Creative Waveblaster (II) with it's EMU8000 allow me to add reverb & chorus to my OPL synth, given my OPL3LPT/Vortex setup?

Reply 4 of 4, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, since the Waveblaster (and any other Wavetable add-on board) is basically an external MIDI module that can sit on your card instead of taking space on your desk. It doesn't give you as much control as a full AWE card.