VOGONS

First post, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am an owner of a Roland sound canvas sc88 which I use it for gaming especially on my Cyrix Dos PC and sometimes on my Macintosh Performa 6116CD. I would like to have both computers connected with the canvas but there is sound only with the cable connected in midi B rear port. I have tried both computers with the in midi A and in midi B front ports but there is no sound. So when I want to use my Macintosh I have to disconnect the midi cable from Cyrix 's midi interface and connected it on Mac 's midi interface.

A) Is there an adjustment that I can do in order to use two in midi ports connected the one with the pc and the other with the Mac and have sound without disconnecting/ connecting the midi cables?

B) Can I use a male midi to 2x female midi adapter cable? The male side connected on sound canvas in midi port and both computers connected with male midi cables on the 2x of the female midi adapter.

C) Regarding question B, can this also be done with my Roland MT32? My purpose is to have both computers connected with Roland Sound Canvas SC88 and Roland MT32.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 1 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MIDI B must be enabled first, by default it's not active in the SC-88.

Once enabled, you can connect the PC to MIDI A, the Mac to MIDI B, and the MT-32 to MIDI Thru on the SC-88. That are all MIDI connections you need to use both devices on both systems. To use the MT-32 in that case, the SC-88 must be powered and it's volume turned down.

Reply 2 of 7, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have reset the sc88 to factory details but it only works with the midi cable connected to the in midi B rear port.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 3 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I wrote, it is disabled *by default*, so a factory reset will not enable it (it will even disable it again, was it ever enabled). Just enable it in the settings of the SC-88.

Hint attached, I'm sure you are able to read the manual on your own. 😉

Reply 5 of 7, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your answers. It is the first time that i got a sound canvas and the seller gave me also the manual. I have already read some stuff inside in order to learn some things. What i managed to do today is to use and have sound from in midi B (rear and front). My pc is connected with the in midi B rear port and my Mac with the in midi B front port. So i go to the relative choices and i change the in midi B to rear or to front. It works perfectly. I guess the battery is working because i reset the canvas and the changes still remain. But i haven't managed yet to use and have sound from the in midi A port. What do i have to do with that? I tried "merge A" and "A only" but without success. As i understand "merge A" has to do only with the msgs of group A on the lcd screen. I would like also to ask regarding the MT32 connecting via the thru port. Do i have to do something with the canvas? For instance change the out/thru port from the relative choices? All this is temporary because soon i will be an owner also of a roland sound canvas sc55 gs only.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 7 of 7, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok,

i will check it. Both in midi B ports work perfectly. When i want to use the canvas with my Mac i choose the front port, when i want to use it with the PC, i choose the rear port.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF