VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello there!

So King's Quest V, Jones in the Fast Lane, Mixed Up Mother Goose and Quest for Glory 2 were the last 2 games with support for the IMFC. Well...oficially. The way the SCI engine works, IMFC support is absolutely intact for all games that use SCI1 and SCI 1.1 engines. All you need is the appropriate driver and a patch.002 or 2.pat file (renaming patch.002 to 2.pat works).

The patch.002 file contains all the instruments the game will use in a certain order. So it seems to be possible that if instruments are arranged properly to each game soundtrack, IMFC support can be quite good. In fact you can use or extract any patch.002 from any Sierra game that officially supported the IMFC and try it out with any game without IMFC official support.

As an example i made a quick video showing off Space Quest 4 CD with music playing on the IMFC + digital sound coming from my SB compatible card:

https://youtu.be/6jhF-_io8iA

In theory, if the patch file structure is understood and knowing which default instruments to choose on the IMFC it is possible to create/optimize a patch file for each SCI1 and SCI1.1 game without official support for the IMFC. This would increase the number of games with good IMFC support, in fact probably more than double that number.

Another option would be developing a IMFC driver for AIL/MSS, which would further increase the number of games supported. I think Bristlehog has developed a driver for the CMS/Game Blaster and Innovation SSI cards. Only problem is the limited availability of these cards, which could be somehow mitigated if in the future DOSBox gets IMFC support.

Reply 1 of 1, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent info, and that SQ4 music sounds great!

I've picked up a Yamaha FB-01 recently, which I'm using with Scali's SoftIMFC. I've been trying to list all of the supported games, and have plans to record and upload any intro tracks that are not already on Youtube. The list on MobyGames is a good start, and I've also read your older thread: The Yamaha FB-01/IBM Music Feature Card support thread!!

With your new info it looks like there's a plenty more experimentation to be done across the SCI catalogue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sierra% … terpreter_games