VOGONS

Reply 80 of 87, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree. I prefer also the real thing. I don't use emulators. Unfortunately many Sierra Online games have problems on PowerPC machines. I managed to finish King's Quest 5 and Freddy Pharkas on the Performa with Roland MT32. Unfortunately King's Quest 6 does not support Roland or General Midi on Mac. I tried to play it many times but I abandoned it because almost every time it hangs (i think everytime i try to load a save game).

ScummVM is a great program but the only game that I played and finished was in 2022 "The Secret of Monkey Island" Ega version and this on an early version of ScummVM on my Power Macintosh G3 Minitower and Mac OS 10.2 because i hadn't got the game. This year, a friend of mine sent me a copy, i found also a patch for MT32 and adlib and i finished it on my dos pc. If I ever use ScummVM again, it will probably be for FM Towns games.

I learned regarding the emulators back to 1997-1998 (maybe earlier). When for the first time i had internet in my home at the end of 1998, i downloaded emulators for Amiga, Atari St, Amstrad, Spectrum, Commodore. Super Nes, Nes, Sega Genesis, Master System, Game Gear and Game boy. I never played a game seriously in order to finish it except "The Secret of Monkey Island" Ega version as I mentioned above.

I started searching for Mac emulators for the first time in 1997. When I managed to run Basilisk, I didn't like the feeling. I began looking and learning about Macintosh computers because I did't know anything about them. First Mac was an Imac Mid 2007 in 2008. The same year i got an Imac G3 from ebay.

The feeling of a real computer and sound device cannot be compared. 😀

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 82 of 87, by grieverheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a Macman and a Roland UM-ONE (unfortunately a mk1 since I though the mk1 looked very different) and connected everything between my Quadra 840AV (running 8.1) and my Windows PC which is running Munt. I copied the Apple Midi Driver and Midi Manager that came with Gabriel Knight to the system folder and it worked! Unfortunately, when trying to run most of the other games on the list, like Space Quest III, the Mac hangs when the mt32 driver is selected. Other games like Monkey Island don't seem to work with the mt32. Is there anything else I need to install to make everything work, or perhaps I need to change some settings?

PS: Are Space Quest III and IV supposed to have sound on 8.1 with the default drivers? I'm not getting any sound at all.

Reply 83 of 87, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
grieverheart wrote on 2023-11-14, 19:39:

I recently acquired a Macman and a Roland UM-ONE (unfortunately a mk1 since I though the mk1 looked very different) and connected everything between my Quadra 840AV (running 8.1) and my Windows PC which is running Munt. I copied the Apple Midi Driver and Midi Manager that came with Gabriel Knight to the system folder and it worked! Unfortunately, when trying to run most of the other games on the list, like Space Quest III, the Mac hangs when the mt32 driver is selected. Other games like Monkey Island don't seem to work with the mt32. Is there anything else I need to install to make everything work, or perhaps I need to change some settings?

PS: Are Space Quest III and IV supposed to have sound on 8.1 with the default drivers? I'm not getting any sound at all.

Hello,

I am trying to understand the connection. Have you tried the Roland UM-ONE on the Macintosh and your Windows PC separately? Or have you somehow both connected computers together?

I don't know about the Roland UM-ONE device. It seems that it needs a USB connection.

For the drivers, you did the correct procedure by installing the two files (Apple Midi Driver and Midi Manager) to the system folder, then restart the Macintosh computer and it is ready. Normally all games that support Roland must run.

For the Windows PC, I haven't ever tried anything with Roland, Munt, etc., on newer computers. Until now I have used the midi devices with success only on old computers: PC (Cyrix 6x86 with PC Midi Card, Dos/Windows 95), Macintosh (LC475, Performa 6116CD, Powermac G3 Minitower), and Atari 1040 STF.

Regarding Space Quest III and IV, I remember that I also don't have sound at all if I choose the Macintosh sound. But with Roland MT-32 everything works perfectly.

You may check the following links from Macintosh Garden. For my Power PC Macs, I have used the PPC patches in order to run the games.

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/space-quest-3
(Includes a patch to make it compatible with more recent classic Mac OS systems.

3rd download is PPC patch.

"Timing lockups on LC 575 and Duo 2300. Need date to be set before 1993 on IIci to avoid lock up issue. Problem report")

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/space-quest-4
(Unpatched game runs into problems on most systems, related to date and 24-bit addressing. Included patches resolve those issues to some extent; related docs included in archive).

"Macintosh Quadra 840AV supports only 32-bit addressing mode."

Original game comes with 68k code only,
the second download offers a PPC patch.

Monkey Island supports Roland only on dos version so I guess you try it with the Windows PC.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 84 of 87, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also check this:

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/sierra-patch

Personally, I have solved the problem with the date by choosing one before 1993 from the Macintosh system options 😀

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 85 of 87, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The sierra games a VERY buggy on macintosh. The first AGI games suffer from api change (draw routines) so neither b&w or color versions work all over the place, mostly they only work on that specific machine like AIO classic macintosh and refuse to work on later LC/Mac II/Quadra etc. series. Only Larry1 AGI 2.06 got fixed all others (PoliceQuest/SpaceQuest/KingsQuest etc.) not. It does not get better on the later SierraGames, they suffer from timing-issues and date-lockups, running them on early PPC and not 68K let's the MIDI get problematic (beside all other problems that already occured on 68K machines)...last but not least the lucas-games suffer from less midi-support, no 256color versions of loom and monkey1 and the sound/music always sounds wrong, not timed correctly...so all in all, only the very latest 68040/PPC CD-Versions are quite good on LC475/6100PPC...forget about the rest if you do not have the machine they were released for. It's a bit disappointing.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 86 of 87, by grieverheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to understand the connection. Have you tried the Roland UM-ONE on the Macintosh and your Windows PC separately? Or have you somehow both connected computers together?

Sorry for not being very clear about the setup, but this is the gist of it:
Quadra 840AV -> Macman -> Roland UM-ONE -> Windows 10 PC with MUNT listening on the UM-ONE

"Timing lockups on LC 575 and Duo 2300. Need date to be set before 1993 on IIci to avoid lock up issue. Problem report") https:/ […]
Show full quote

"Timing lockups on LC 575 and Duo 2300. Need date to be set before 1993 on IIci to avoid lock up issue. Problem report")
https://macintoshgarden.org/games/space-quest-4
(Unpatched game runs into problems on most systems, related to date and 24-bit addressing. Included patches resolve those issues to some extent; related docs included in archive).
"Macintosh Quadra 840AV supports only 32-bit addressing mode."

Hm, didn't know about the potential 24-bit addressing issues. The games do work properly when the default sound driver is chosen, though. Could the addressing still be a problem for the mt32 drivers? I'll also try setting the date to see if that makes any difference. Btw, SQ3 specifically, gives me 'The application "SQ3" has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 1 occurred. You should save your work in other open applications and restart'.

Note that I'm using the patched versions of these sierra games. Currently Gabriel Kinight, King's Quests, Larrys are working. Castle of dr. Brain and SQ3&4 not.

Reply 87 of 87, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SQ3 is very very buggy..it suffers different problems and it has a strange resolution on mac, but it also comes in 16greytone monochrome which is very nice (like pop1).

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines