VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys!

I have a couple of really nice sound cards which I would love to use all of course 😁
The problem I am having is that I do not have and also do not want to have a retro build for each of the sound cards I want to use. Therefore I would love to run 2 sound cards in one system. Especially since some of the sound cards are PnP cards I am having trouble to get instell them properly and also select between the two of them.

My understanding so far is: Under DOS I can simply initialize one or the other card in Autoexec.bat/Config.sys and it should work right away. How is that supposed to work with a PnP card?
Is there a simple way of configuring Windows 95/98 to get both cards to work? How do I set up PnP cards in Windows?
Is it possible to simply switch between two sound cards in Windows?

Thx for your help!

Reply 1 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win9x is much easier than DOS:

So long as the two cards don't have the same resources, you just have two sound devices in Windows and can choose whichever one you want.

If one is PnP and the other isn't, make sure to reserve all resources used by the non-PnP card as "Legacy" in BIOS.

Reply 6 of 11, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By itself they both work perfectly. I also tried installing windows with only one card plugged in, installing the drivers and then afterwards plugging in the second card and installing its drivers. The second one is all shown with yellow symbols and the first one is not being initialized properly.