VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I made a thread about the DB X2 to get information and opinions. I decided to buy one. The company that makes them can't ship outside of Europe due to the coronavirus situation, and the one I was looking at on ebay is no longer available. Is there another place that sells them?

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 7, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought 2x from ExcelValley (from China or Hong Kong I believe), the last arrived maybe a week ago. I didn't want to buy them from Serdashop because there wasn't an option to take off EU VAT, and since I live in the USA I wasn't paying that 19% extra or whatever. I think it probably came out to exactly the same either way, but it was a principle thing.

No offense to Serda – he did write me back a nice note (after I already ordered from ExcelValley) and said if I pay extra for the shipping WITH tracking (9.50 eur/$10.50 USD) he could take off the VAT... but that's still kinda the same difference anyway, right (pay VAT or pay more for shipping)? And still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I order a TON from ALL over Europe, including his country, and never, ever, had this issue ever before.

Reply 2 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you realize no seller makes any money off of VAT? and making a VAT free sale outside the EU requires paperwork and evidence, hence tracked shipping.
making VAT free sales is a bunch of extra effort for a small company like that.

Reply 3 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-04-10, 02:42:

I've bought 2x from ExcelValley (from China or Hong Kong I believe), the last arrived maybe a week ago. I didn't want to buy them from Serdashop because there wasn't an option to take off EU VAT, and since I live in the USA I wasn't paying that 19% extra or whatever. I think it probably came out to exactly the same either way, but it was a principle thing.

No offense to Serda – he did write me back a nice note (after I already ordered from ExcelValley) and said if I pay extra for the shipping WITH tracking (9.50 eur/$10.50 USD) he could take off the VAT... but that's still kinda the same difference anyway, right (pay VAT or pay more for shipping)? And still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I order a TON from ALL over Europe, including his country, and never, ever, had this issue ever before.

Thank you, I'll try ExcelValley. I don't understand why Belgium can't ship outside of Europe when other places still can, despite the coronavirus situation.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-04-10, 02:56:

you realize no seller makes any money off of VAT? and making a VAT free sale outside the EU requires paperwork and evidence, hence tracked shipping.
making VAT free sales is a bunch of extra effort for a small company like that.

I did not say any seller makes money off VAT.

I order a good 10-ish items from Europe every year, probably for 10 or 15 years in a row now, and I've never had a shopping cart system add VAT to my order once I choose USA as my country of residence, regardless of the type of shipping I chose. Since the OP asked about a suggestion for an alternative company, I chimed in with the alternative company I had two positive experiences with, and the funkiness I also experienced with his (and my) originally choosen vendor, Serdashop. I also mentioned this tidbit of information to show how although ExcelValley might seem like they're more expensive, they're actually right around the same exact price once you factor in shipping for both (or free shipping + having to pay VAT, either way).

Scythifuge wrote on 2020-04-10, 03:44:

Thank you, I'll try ExcelValley. I don't understand why Belgium can't ship outside of Europe when other places still can, despite the coronavirus situation.

It's not just them. I have a Roland SC-55 stuck in Japan right now... they're unable to ship via regular means and no DHL within driving distance! Just part of the fun which is Covid I think.

Reply 5 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ExcelValley lists the X2 as out of stock.

I do not expect things to return to normal anytime soon. It may be a while before we can resume international commerce. Damn....

Well, I just found out about the AWE64 project, so the timetable for this project is now tied to that, as I really need one of those cards in order to get the most out of the project I am working on. It also gives me time to find a good motherboard (probably a socket A) with an ISA slot. The AWE64 project with the included OPL3 and coupled with an X2 and an external MT-32 will be absolutely perfect for my situation, and will allow me to sell my MPU-IPC-T card/box and my SCC-1, and my AWE32 3990. Then I can actually enjoy the PC and play games again, instead of tinkering and hunting down parts...

Reply 6 of 7, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,
yeah sorry, due to corona I can also not ship new supplies to ExcelValley.
You can read about the shipping trouble here : https://news.bpost.be/en-corona

Regarding VAT : Yes that is correct : I need to keep proof of export for each shipping without VAT outside Europe
and with the lowest cost shipping option I have no proof at all, as there is no tracking.
My accountant recommended to export in larger amounts with official export or at least tracking numbers,
or sell with VAT instead, to simplify the process and keep correct administration.
Sorry for the quirky rules, I try to comply as good as possible.
You can always PM me if or contact me through the site, if you have ideas or complaints.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 7 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-04-10, 04:28:

It's not just them. I have a Roland SC-55 stuck in Japan right now... they're unable to ship via regular means and no DHL within driving distance! Just part of the fun which is Covid I think.

I bought something from Japan 2 weeks ago which arrived after just 9 days! That was the fastest shipping from Japan I've ever had - probably because customs didn't hold it back as usual. So I guess it's also about the destination country, because they apparently have no problems shipping to Germany.

Even a package from China arrived a few days ago after being in transit for the usual 4 weeks.