VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've exhausted everything I know of to try to troubleshoot this, and I'm just not having any luck.

My setup is an MS-7145 Motherboard (socket 754) and in one of the PCI slots, I have a PCI sound card (an ALS-4000-based card). Sound works fine. In the device manager, the gameport shows up fine. Everything LOOKS like it should work. But when I plug in a controller into the game port and add a controller, it says "not connected."

I have tried:
-a different one of the same sound card
-a different sound card altogether (an Yamaha ymf744-based card)
-several different gamepads
-using different PCI slots
-changing resources
-changing controller ID's
-Windows 98, Windows XP, real DOS.
-the same sound cards and gamepads on other motherboards and they work just fine there

So I'm at a loss. Doesn't matter the OS or even the sound card, even though everything looks correct in the device manager, it just flat-out refuses to detect any conencted gamepads.

Anybody ever run into an issue like this before? Any suggestions? Or is there just something weird going on with this particlular model of motherboard?

Reply 1 of 1, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gameport works by counting CPU cycles to measure how long a timer circuit takes to change state (proportionally to joystick position) and that method pretty much breaks down on fast hardware. I'm not sure what is considered too fast though. It is the only thing i can think of that can get in the way, I recall having similar problem when I got a Tualatin based machine and my home made gamepad tuned to a Pentium1 no longer got detected until I tuned it to output smaller resistances to the gameport, so that counting would finish sooner.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜