VOGONS

First post, by peate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been browsing the site and noticed kX drivers mentioned a few times. Are there a lot of kX users here?

Although I've been away from them for a few years due to hardware limitations, I started using kX drivers with Version 3528, I believe on Windows 98SE when I got my Live Platinum card. I never looked back once I figured them out. Endless routing possibilities makes then perfect for recording. Building custom DSP's was a blast.

I'm getting an Audigy RX next week and finally going back to kX with now Version 3553. Any feedback from other Audigy RX users or custom DSP set-ups you want to share would be appreciated. I miss the old kX forum.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used them for a short time to make my SBLive 5.1 (model SB0100) work on Windows 7 x64, for testing purposes. They worked great and I was even able to use the optical in on the Livedrive front panel for recording.

I have since moved that SBLive card to a Win98 machine so it now uses Creative's drivers. Admittedly, I'm not too familiar with kx drivers, but from what I understand, they don't do EAX which makes them less desirable in a retro build.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi @peate.
I have been using kX for years, doing all kinds of stuff with the sound 😀 Even wrote two custom plugins for my needs (attached below).

d274.da simply delays a stereo signal by 274 samples (you can edit the code and put your own number); it helps, for example, to compensate an existing delay between front and rear speakers, without wasting DSP resources with standard plugins like TheSmallDelay or TheDelay which consume large fixed amounts iTram/xTram.

Rear+.da is a stereo upmixing plugin that generates Rear L/R signal from Front L/R. It is more resource-efficient compared to plugins included in the installer. Upmixing algorithm is based on Surrounder+.

@Joseph_Joestar
"they don't do EAX which makes them less desirable in a retro build"

This can be solved by adding another card for use with Creative drivers. If you connect two cards in a chain (card 1 -> card 2 -> speakers), you get the power of both Creative and kX DSP. Just for reference, here are how different cards can be "coupled":
- Live! and Audigy 1 series have 5.1 SPDIF outputs and inputs on internal pins, which allows to pass 6 channels of digital audio from one card to another;
- Audigy 2/2ZS/4Pro have 6 outputs but only 4 inputs;
- Audigy 2Value/4/RX have stereo SPDIF output but no digital input;
- X-Fi only have stereo SPDIF I/O;
- E-MU cards have stereo SPDIF and 8-channel ADAT I/O, but inputs are not usable under kX driver (there are clicks due to card not synchronizing to input, and clock selection is not implemented in kX).
Also, E-MU and Creative drivers are not compatible within one OS (you can use E-MU + kX, or Creative + kX, but not Creative + E-MU).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Alternatively, one can keep a single card and switch between kX and Creative drivers at any time via a batch script and reboot.
Possibilities are truly endless as you can see 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    plugins.zip
    File size
    580 Bytes
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Wanderer on 2020-10-17, 12:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by peate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @Wanderer, I was looking for the "like" button but I guess there isn't one. I like trying out new plug-ins.

I know kX is not suited for gamers, too bad, cause it does everything else so well. I'm not into games though, only music. I don't use digital/SPDIF so those imputs don't matter to me. I just want enough resources for heavy DSP's which the Live had trouble with due to limited memory i-tram or something like that.

I gave up on even trying a PCI to PCI-E riser now that I have the RX on the way. I figured out the pin assignment on the AUD_EXT connector. Now I have to see if I can figure out a way to connect it.

Reply 4 of 4, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you need analog output, RX is indeed a better choice over Live!+PCIe adapter.

For use with headphones I can recommend xfeed3 plugin at default settings, found in the "da" folder here: https://github.com/kxproject/kx-audio-driver
It does the Crossfeed just right, i.e. alleviates extreme L/R panning while not changing the overall character of the sound.

HTH