VOGONS

First post, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sound card I currently have installed is a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128, which is fine for "newer" stuff but has pretty bad emulation of SB16 and Adlib. I'm going to replace it with something better at some point. My question is, is there a way to have it make PC speaker noises for me? Can I plug a PC speaker into it? I want to play Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and there's no sound due to no PC speaker. Boooo.

Okay, thank you!

- Tom

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 1 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard do you have?
It's very uncommon for one not to have any internal speaker option either a header or a built in piezo. Win98 era hardware would even say could be both.

Know the option of hooking up the internal speaker to the sound card was common on ISA cards but don't think it lasted very long (it at all) on PCI cards.
Although I've never used this feature so never looked into it either.

Reply 2 of 8, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Compaq Presario with an Aspen2 motherboard. The pinouts I could find show two rows of pins, one of which could be used for a speaker, but the board I have only has one row of actual pins.

2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, OEM. rule book is out the window.

Your right. If you look here you can see the pin's on your motherboard inside the red circle and what Compaq have removed from the genetic motherboard.
http://www.elhvb.com/ctechinfo/model/aspen/aspen.php

Looks like this is out of a Presario 7000.
A youtube vid doesn't give me much hope, if you watch this at no point does it do a post test beep like I would expect.
https://youtu.be/mJkDt0SFHi4

So even if you did get a sound card you would have to run a connector to a motherboard header that you don't have.

On the flip side, I happen to own the FIC SD11 which is the non OEM version of this motherboard. If I'm honest I'm not that impressed with it's performance.
Don't get me wrong, It's one of the best using the 751 chipset, but AMD dropped Slot A pretty quick and their own chipset even quicker so drivers never matured.

Reply 4 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about using a POST card with a PC speaker built on? I've never noticed, but would that work to get regular PC speaker output on a board that doesn't have it?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, this is a case of making do with what I have available, unfortunately. It's a decent PC for most of my late 90s-mid 00s games, though, so that's nice. Thanks for the help, though!

chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-05, 16:51:
ah, OEM. rule book is out the window. […]
Show full quote

ah, OEM. rule book is out the window.

Your right. If you look here you can see the pin's on your motherboard inside the red circle and what Compaq have removed from the genetic motherboard.
http://www.elhvb.com/ctechinfo/model/aspen/aspen.php

Looks like this is out of a Presario 7000.
A youtube vid doesn't give me much hope, if you watch this at no point does it do a post test beep like I would expect.
https://youtu.be/mJkDt0SFHi4

So even if you did get a sound card you would have to run a connector to a motherboard header that you don't have.

On the flip side, I happen to own the FIC SD11 which is the non OEM version of this motherboard. If I'm honest I'm not that impressed with it's performance.
Don't get me wrong, It's one of the best using the 751 chipset, but AMD dropped Slot A pretty quick and their own chipset even quicker so drivers never matured.

Reply 6 of 8, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If this would work and exists as a PCI card, that would be something I'd be interested in!

EDIT: Is this what I'm looking for? I don't know enough about hardware to know if it would even work like that, but that does appear to be a little tweeter on there, I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Analyser-D … r/dp/B005J1SUIO

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-05, 17:11:

What about using a POST card with a PC speaker built on? I've never noticed, but would that work to get regular PC speaker output on a board that doesn't have it?

Reply 7 of 8, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-06-05, 18:20:
If this would work and exists as a PCI card, that would be something I'd be interested in! […]
Show full quote

If this would work and exists as a PCI card, that would be something I'd be interested in!

EDIT: Is this what I'm looking for? I don't know enough about hardware to know if it would even work like that, but that does appear to be a little tweeter on there, I think.

Those cards need to be hooked up to the PC Speaker header on the motherboard (which you don't seem to have) using a cable to the pins next to the little tweeter. It won't be useful for you

1982 to 2001

Reply 8 of 8, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Booooo okay thank you! Good to know, I guess I'm just out of luck. Unless anyone knows a way to get a sound blaster to emulate PC speaker on Win98se?

Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-06-05, 19:07:
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-06-05, 18:20:
If this would work and exists as a PCI card, that would be something I'd be interested in! […]
Show full quote

Those cards need to be hooked up to the PC Speaker header on the motherboard (which you don't seem to have) using a cable to the pins next to the little tweeter. It won't be useful for you