VOGONS

First post, by schreiberstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I am using a Creative Audigy 2 ZS on Windows 98 SE and would like to use the following features :

- Digital CD IN (2 Pin header)
- Front & Rear Audio / Surround Sound

Sadly, I cannot find these options on my current system.
Does the Audigy 2 ZS support these features on Windows 98 using a different driver version?
( IIRC I am using this version : Audigy_2_ZS_Install_CD.7z - http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=510&menustate=0 )

I also own a regular Audigy (1) which I have not tested yet.
If the Audigy 2 ZS does not support these features on Windows 98, could you recommend me another card that does?

I bought one of these ~1999 Cambridge SoundWorks (Creative) DTT2500 5.1 sound systems and would like to connect it to my Windows 98 machine using the proprietary 9 pin mini-DIN SPDIF connector.
"Better" Creative cards like the 2 ZS have a 3 or 4 pin 3.5mm stereo jack that carries up to three stereo digital audio signals.
Recently I have bought all the materials to build the required adapter myself.

I would be very thankful if you would help me choose a different driver or card.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate this forum and have been browsing it since 2006.

Cheers,
schreiberstein

Last edited by schreiberstein on 2020-06-06, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by nvllsvm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty sure the Audigy 2 ZS only supports Digital CD input when using the WDM drivers on Win98. However, the non-ZS Audigy 2 does support digital CD input using the VXD drivers. Not sure about surround.

I don't see a benefit to the ZS over the non-ZS if you're planning on using digital output anyway.

Reply 2 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Audigy 1 and Audigy 2 support digital CD audio via the CD_SPDIF connector when using VxD drivers. On the other hand, the ZS only supports that when using WDM drivers, which are not recommended for Win9x gaming.

As for surround sound, Audigy 1 supports up to 5.1, the Audigy 2 up to 6.1 and the ZS up to 7.1. Just be sure to plug the speakers into the relevant ports, as specified in the manual. If using digital speakers, be sure to check the "Digital Output Only" setting in the drivers.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi