VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I recently scored a Sony Viao PCG-GRX560K laptop for next to nothing. What differentiates this from other laptops of the era (2001-2002 ish) is that has a huge 17 inch 1600 x 1200 resolution LCD display. It upscales DOS games beautifully.

I installed a dual boot of 98 and XP on it. XP seems to have had all of the drivers except for graphics built in, so no issues on that side.

For the 98 side I was able to get the chipset and graphics drivers installed, but absolutely no luck with the onboard audio. Quick search showed Sony never offered any official Win 9X drivers as this model shipped with W2K or XP.

I am having trouble first correctly identifying what onboard audio this thing has.

Using unknown hardware identifier on the 98 side it comes as:
Intel 82801CA AC’97 Audio Controller (CH3-S BA Step)

Windows XP device manager lists it as:
Intel® 82801CA/CAM AC’97 Audio Controller

However, Snappy Driver Installer under XP is much more confusing listing all together:
-Realtek AC’97 Audio
-Advance AC97 Audio
-Intel® AC’97 Audio Controller – SigmaTel Codec
-Crystal WDM Audio Codec
-Avance AC97 Audio
-SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
-3DP Edition v9.12 (Sigma Tel C-Major Audio)

Anyone have an idea which I should be searching for, and if there any Windows 98 drivers for this type onboard audio at all? AC'97 based I would assume so.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by detalite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately it's rather hard to find those type information. Sometimes it's easier to disassemble laptop. Exception was Compaq/HP laptops where you can find list of key components.