VOGONS

First post, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought some Creative cards with external boxes recently. Two of them (Audigy 2 Platinum EX and X-Fi Elite Pro) have MIDI I/O and I am curious if they can be used (with adequate soundfont loaded) as replacement for e.g Rolang MT32/SC55. I know it is not very eco-wise and RPI with MUNT is probably a better option but I can't get it out of my head. I do not have gameport to MIDI cables (but they are on the way) so I cannot test it now.

Reply 2 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, exactly. Sorry for my english 😀

Exact chain would be:

DOS PC
ESS 1869F
Serdaco DB15MIDI
MIDI cable
X-Fi Elite Pro (or Audigy 2 Platinum EX) breakout box in "modern" PC
SGM 180 soudfont

Reply 3 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll need to run some software (e.g. Midi-ox) on your PC that actually plays back the incoming MIDI data. However you could just as well run MUNT on your pc, or the Sound Canvas VST.

Reply 5 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I have everything for weekend tests. I am just curious - wavetable header (currently occupied with DB S2) has the same adress (330) as gameport MIDI. Will they work simultaneously or I have to unplug S2 / reconfigure something?

Reply 6 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I tested it and everything works great! I just ran SoftMPU on DOS PC and MIDIOX on Windows PC and just watched numbers on the screen 😀 The biggest difference is in the sound of drumkit. It sounds ALMOST like real one (especially cymbals) 😉
The big downside is that another PC must be running so I will use DB S2 for games...

One interesting fact:
Warcraft 2 does not work with GM if it is not the first game started after computer boots up. Anyone else has similar "problem"?

Attachments