VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by detalite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This Card also appears to have a QSound QX2130 QXpander chip onboard. From a quick look up this is a sound processor? Does this do some sort of effect processing?

QX2130 features:
Virtual 3D sound from ordinary audio signals.
Three enhanced modes:
- Pro Listening
- Wide Listening
- Wow for Games

Reply 21 of 40, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-06-28, 10:43:
Bancho wrote on 2020-06-27, 20:06:
This has what appears to be a Motorola LS245 20 Pin chip on board. Is this an OPL clone? […]
Show full quote

This has what appears to be a Motorola LS245 20 Pin chip on board. Is this an OPL clone?

2OqAqc8l.jpg

No, that one is the real 74LS245, an 8-bit buffer chip. You can be sure because 8 pins on one side of that chip are directly connected to the ISA data pins. That does not fit for the OPL clones, but is the usual application for a 74LS245 as ISA data buffer.

Do you think it would be possible to add Genuine OPL3 to this card? There appears to be a empty location above the LS254 which looks to have the same pinout at a YMF262

Reply 22 of 40, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote on 2020-07-08, 11:11:
mkarcher wrote on 2020-06-28, 10:43:
Bancho wrote on 2020-06-27, 20:06:
This has what appears to be a Motorola LS245 20 Pin chip on board. Is this an OPL clone? […]
Show full quote

This has what appears to be a Motorola LS245 20 Pin chip on board. Is this an OPL clone?

2OqAqc8l.jpg

No, that one is the real 74LS245, an 8-bit buffer chip. You can be sure because 8 pins on one side of that chip are directly connected to the ISA data pins. That does not fit for the OPL clones, but is the usual application for a 74LS245 as ISA data buffer.

Do you think it would be possible to add Genuine OPL3 to this card? There appears to be a empty location above the LS254 which looks to have the same pinout at a YMF262

FM is most likely being provided by the CS9233 chip (along with wavetable). Changing that would require redirecting some traces and finding a place to put the OPL3 and DAC.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 40, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As most ALS cards from cheap manufacturers output a lot of noise, I wonder what will be the best method to record the cleanest sound possible...

At least 3D melody has line output, which is fairly clean.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25 of 40, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an ALS200 with a similar "LS245" chip 😀

IMG_0575 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_0575 (Custom).jpeg
File size
682.21 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I have yet to plug it in, but according to the multimeter, every pin of that "LS245" chip links up with that footprint of where a YMF262 chip would fit 😉

IMG_0577 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_0577 (Custom).jpeg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

edit: huh, the PCB layout is the same as the 1st picture in the 1st post, cool.

Reply 26 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! 😎 I love the fact that these LS chips come in proper DIL/DIP form factor rather than SMD.
That's something I always disliked about the original. It cannot be removed, because there are no sockets for SMD chips.
(Well, there are, strictly speaking. But they are very expensive, rare and meant for prototyping/development only.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 40, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:31:

Cool! 😎 I love the fact that these LS chips come in proper DIL/DIP form factor rather than SMD.
That's something I always disliked about the original. It cannot be removed, because there are no sockets for SMD chips.
(Well, there are, strictly speaking. But they are very expensive, rare and meant for prototyping/development only.)

Is there a point to socketing these? I know of no possible replacements in the same packaging..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28 of 40, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for this info. Here's a couple of pics of a card i got off ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_182624.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200822_182624.jpg
    File size
    649.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20200822_182652.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200822_182652.jpg
    File size
    699.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 29 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-08-22, 08:01:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:31:

Is there a point to socketing these? I know of no possible replacements in the same packaging..

It's just my personal preference, I guess. The YM3812 (OPL2) was sometimes socketed, too. To my understanding, professional gear uses sockets, traditionally.
RAM, CPUs and sound chips of the past (SID, SAA1099 etc) were also often socketed, so they could be replaced. Or "borrowed" for other use cases. 😉
Most SMD parts (excl. PLCC), on the otherhand, leave a bitter aftertaste, IMHO. According to my gut feeling, they belong in the same category as glued chassis (Macs) and non-removable rechargeables (cell phones). 😁

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 30 of 40, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sockets (in professional stuff in particular) are only ever used for things that need to be removed at some point for servicing reasons, such as memory chips that can be reprogrammed or replaced with a more recent version, or sometimes really expensive parts such as CPUs or video chips. Socket is extra cost and point of failure and their use is minimized whenever possible.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 31 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-08-23, 00:01:

Socket is extra cost and point of failure and their use is minimized whenever possible.

I'm sorry, butI have a different opinion. Cost reduction from a rational
point of view is very unprofessional and belongs to consumer products which are designed to break, anyway (forced obsolescence) .
Universities, research centers and military rather prefer modular design and quality.
Or at least that's how it used to be. Somewhere, somewhen ..
Considering that people use Raspberrys and alike without a shielded metal case, even (RFI) .. 🙄
As for the sockets.. There are different types.
The cheap ones for 10 Cents and the normal ones for ~80 Cents.
If someone makes a product, but isn't willing to spend a few Cents, then the product isn't worth anything, anyway.

Edit: Always that same, lame old excuse with "extra cost" (I don't blame you; it always pops up) .
Customers don't care if something costs 520€ or 521,70€. It's overpriced, anyway. Production cost, taxes etc. are often multiple times less, say about 80€. Sure, there's also rent to pay, employees..
(The true reason, for ommiting sockets, blocking caps etc. hower, is: greed/maximum profit/capitalism.
It looks clever at first, but backfires quickly [returns; claims for damage because someone's house burnt down etc]) .

Also, by using sockets, you avoid exposing ICs to heat (soldering iron). This lowers the chances of causing damage to the chips..
But these are just my two Cents. The truth likely is located somewhere in between. 😉

Edit: Fun fact : There a was a time when transistors were installed in sockets, too. Just like radio tubes. 😁
Edit: Edited.

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 40, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Point of failure part stands and cost is not something someone pulled out their ass. It massively complicates assembly since it cannot be automated anymore and that is where the cost increases, time is worth much more money than the parts are. Some person must manually put stuff in and possibly even fixate it down so nobody in their right mind will socket everything just for the sake of it, only some bits that may need to be dealth with during servicing or something at some point or the really expensive parts that may move from one device to the next, possibly during testing and perhaps aftermarket situations.
Transistors used to be expensive things and not always the most reliable things, hence the sockets in the early stuff. Modern parts (anything made in the last 30 years or so) are reliable enough this is not necessary.

I have built a whole production run worth of boards (Rikki & Vikki for Atari 7800) and if I socketed all the parts it would have taken at least twice as much time to build everything, simply because all the extra work necessary, the cart would have been much more expensive as a result and reached the release much later also, a lose-lose situation to everyone involved... Partswise the sockets wouln't be more than few € per cart, but labourwise it more than twice that and even though it was just 600 carts, it adds up very quickly.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 33 of 40, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Universities, research centers and military rather prefer modular design and quality.

Which has nothing to do with cheap mass produced OEM sound cards with no real critical parts.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 34 of 40, by Mannie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2020-08-22, 08:30:

Thanks for this info. Here's a couple of pics of a card i got off ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Talking about cost reduction: I just bought an antique pentium-100 and it had this very soundcard. It wasn't working, and the big resistor in the board was running really hot. After desoldering, it seems to be just a really crude resistor + 5V zener power supply for the output amplifier! The zener seemed busted: 0.8V forward, wouldn't conduct even with reverse 48V. To test if that's the case, I soldered a 7805 instead of the resistor+zener:

patch.jpg
Filename
patch.jpg
File size
131.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And it worked! I'm not sure if it will catch fire afterwards, but for the present the the driver tests sound fine. I think I'll solder a SMD 5v regulator in place, and move on. I have spare zeners around, but this looks really horrible as a regulation scheme, not worth restoring.

Reply 35 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-23, 23:49:

Which has nothing to do with cheap mass produced OEM sound cards with no real critical parts.

That's right, hence I used the term "professional" rather than "commercial". As in "profession". 😉
In addition, I was not explicitly talking about soundcards. Sound chips also were used in music instruments. 😋
And socketed CPUs also were needed for interposer boards. Just think of x86 emulator boards or acellerator boards.
They had to interface between CPU and Mainboard.

Edit: Never mind, though. I didn't mean to stomp one anybody's feet. What I wrote was merely my honest point of view, anyway.
Perhaps it's just me being too much of an idealist, rather than a business person. Not sure.

//My video channel//

Reply 36 of 40, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my card.
So, do you suggest upgrading the card by installing the Yamaha YMF262 IC and removing the fake IC? Pls suggest.

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 37 of 40, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ayandon wrote on 2023-08-10, 18:33:

This is my card.
So, do you suggest upgrading the card by installing the Yamaha YMF262 IC and removing the fake IC? Pls suggest.

In my oppinion, there is no reason to do so. The fake FM chips are unlicensed but verbatim copies of the YMF262 IC, so while they were cheaper and Yamaha didn't get their licence/patent/whatever fee for them, they should sound the same.

Reply 38 of 40, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great detective work !

I know this thread is 4 years old but I need to ask two things

- Can you repost the picures? they have been removed on the original post
- I have a similar card that found on a scrap yard and someone removed almost all the inductors
Is there a way to know the inductors values ? a schematic ? or are they more or less the same values ?
I would like to repair this little card

Here are pictures of my card with the "suspicious" LS 245 chip

thank you

Attachments

• 20240320_222556.jpg
    Filename
    20240320_222556.jpg
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • AL1.jpg
    Filename
    AL1.jpg
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 39 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just an FYI, prior to the mid 1970s transistors were a lot more heat sensitive and could be killed easily by soldering. That's a bigger reason why they were in sockets. Also why you'll find those funny little clips in older soldering gear marked "transistor heat sink" and you think, how does that dissipate heat off the can? It doesn't it's to clip the leg while you are soldering to protect the device.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.