VOGONS

Primer on PC audio?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wont reply to all of you individually because there were so many great replies.. but this is finally starting to make sense 😀 Regarding one of the above comments regarding the Windows synth and how it doesnt 'approximate' but just plays whichever instrument the MIDI file tells it to.. does that mean its possible that for example the MIDI tells it to play instrument 1, which was a piano sound on the synth that created it.. but on Windows synth instrument 1 is a car horn type sound? Im assuming windows synth was created in such a way that it matches the instrument numbers on the Roland SC-55? So the only MIDI files that it would play to exact perfection are ones generated by that same synth?

Again thanks again for all of this great info. You guys are so awesome and knowledgeable.

Your confusion has to do with the difference between digital audio, MIDI, and FM.

I think this is the key to my confusion. I didnt fully understand at first that MIDI files were not pre recorded audio files 😀 Then when I did understand that... I didnt understand how a game like Duke or Doom that did not have pre recorded audio files were able to be played back on a modern system accurately. And it seems like the answer is simply that... they arent 😀 Windows synth just plays those MIDI files and it sounds how it sounds

Reply 21 of 25, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
solidus wrote on 2020-06-25, 16:53:

Wont reply to all of you individually because there were so many great replies.. but this is finally starting to make sense 😀 Regarding one of the above comments regarding the Windows synth and how it doesnt 'approximate' but just plays whichever instrument the MIDI file tells it to.. does that mean its possible that for example the MIDI tells it to play instrument 1, which was a piano sound on the synth that created it.. but on Windows synth instrument 1 is a car horn type sound?

The instrument will match generally. A lot of MIDI devices adhere to the General Midi standard, including the built-in Windows synth. So files written for that standard will sound right, but of course the actual sounds of the instruments will not be identical. Furthermore, a midi file can include commands for things such as reverb. There's also extended standards such as GS and XG.

The MT-32 is an example of a MIDI device that does not adhere to the GM standand, same goes for some early Sound Canvas devices.

Notice how the SC-55 sound much fuller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBZOPQZ0Is&l … 3s&index=5&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRrOBA4KyEY&l … s&index=6&t=44s

Reply 22 of 25, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
solidus wrote on 2020-06-25, 16:53:

Regarding one of the above comments regarding the Windows synth and how it doesnt 'approximate' but just plays whichever instrument the MIDI file tells it to.. does that mean its possible that for example the MIDI tells it to play instrument 1, which was a piano sound on the synth that created it.. but on Windows synth instrument 1 is a car horn type sound? Im assuming windows synth was created in such a way that it matches the instrument numbers on the Roland SC-55? So the only MIDI files that it would play to exact perfection are ones generated by that same synth?

The answer is yes to all three questions.

Apart from GM/GS/XG-compliant devices, every synthesizer has its own organization of instruments. Also, between two synths supporting the same standard and therefore having same instruments on same numbers, there is still individual character in the sound of each synth - that is why the answer is "yes" to question 3. Most videogame soundtracks in MIDI format are written for GM/GS/XG synths and can be played back on a wide variety of devices, but will sound most authentic on the device initially used by the composer.

Reply 23 of 25, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2020-06-25, 04:58:

OT, but recommend me MIDI players for Windows. I'm currently using the Falcosoft player. What else is there?

Have you tried Tom Grandgent's TMIDI? http://www.grandgent.com/tom/projects/tmidi/

It is my favourite player for quick listening of single MIDI files. You can play a list of files too, by selecting them in explorer and then drag-and-dropping to TMIDI, but there is no option to see the playlist.

It also provides very convenient visualization of notes and events.