Tandy Nano - 3 Voice Soundcard ISA - Lowprofile

Topic actions

Reply 122 of 133, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxx1234 wrote on 2022-10-09, 20:27:
sofakng wrote on 2022-10-09, 20:10:

I'm about to order a few PCBs from JLCPCB but does anybody have the actual gerber files? JLCPCB complains it doesn't know the dimensions of the PCB with the files from github.

Also, according to this video they mention certain Tandy voice samples not playing correctly? (ie. Space Quest)

I'm also interested in the "full" version of this card (with PC speaker passthrough) but it doesn't seem to have the gerber available publicly?

Tandy Nano v1.1 gerbers, successfully built on JLCPCB

Sorry to bother you again, but do you happen to have a parts list for either the Tandy Nano or Adlib PCB that you built? (or saved cart on Digikey/Mouser?)

Reply 123 of 133, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2022-10-13, 15:05:
Maxx1234 wrote on 2022-10-09, 20:27:
sofakng wrote on 2022-10-09, 20:10:

I'm about to order a few PCBs from JLCPCB but does anybody have the actual gerber files? JLCPCB complains it doesn't know the dimensions of the PCB with the files from github.

Also, according to this video they mention certain Tandy voice samples not playing correctly? (ie. Space Quest)

I'm also interested in the "full" version of this card (with PC speaker passthrough) but it doesn't seem to have the gerber available publicly?

Tandy Nano v1.1 gerbers, successfully built on JLCPCB

Sorry to bother you again, but do you happen to have a parts list for either the Tandy Nano or Adlib PCB that you built? (or saved cart on Digikey/Mouser?)

No problem!

Here you are ...

Attachments

• Filename
    TNDYNANO.zip
    File size
    2.05 MiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ADLIB.zip
    File size
    2.5 MiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 125 of 133, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can the LM386N-3 be substituted for the LM386N-1?

It looks like the LM386N-3 has higher output power (500 mW vs 250 mW). I'm worried that the higher output power might have increased noise/distortion or not be appropriate for line-level output?

Also, the SN74LS245N for the Adlib clone is completely out of stock... Can I use the SN74HCT245N instead?

It's hard to find all the parts since the component industry is still a mess. 🙁

Reply 126 of 133, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2022-10-17, 17:11:
Can the LM386N-3 be substituted for the LM386N-1? […]
Show full quote

Can the LM386N-3 be substituted for the LM386N-1?

It looks like the LM386N-3 has higher output power (500 mW vs 250 mW). I'm worried that the higher output power might have increased noise/distortion or not be appropriate for line-level output?

Also, the SN74LS245N for the Adlib clone is completely out of stock... Can I use the SN74HCT245N instead?

It's hard to find all the parts since the component industry is still a mess. 🙁

Using LM386N-1: I have no noise/distortion, although the 10K variable resistor is set at ~30% output to grossly approximate line-in levels. A wild guess (no electronics experience whatsoever) is that it should be much lower with LM386N-3....

SN74HCT245N: Actually you can get any 74LS245 dirt cheap from on-line stores (e.g. aliexpress). Since the 74HCT series are TTL compatible, chances are that it will work. If you try, let us know of the results...

Reply 127 of 133, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All LM386 are Pin Compatible.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 128 of 133, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2022-10-18, 14:08:

Please let's be careful with models of Chinese origin, though.
Some are out of spec, ie. may not be able to handle low-impedance Walkman headphones (in my case).

Had this issue myself with a Pixie CW transceiver kit bought online.
The 386 shipped was faulty. Replacing it with a real LM386 from a know manufacturer fixed the issue instantly.
I got that IC in a totally old school way by buying it locally in an electronic shop.

You know, you leave the house (physically), get into a tram, leave the tram at the right station and enter the building.
Were a grim looking dude sits behind the counter, next to an LCD PC monitor displaying some ancient DOS program (article/solid state database). 😀

Then you go to the boxes of ICs and look for the genuine LM386s.
Which, if you're lucky, reside there for 20-30 years. Before China parts became ubiquitous.
That's my story, essentially. 😀

Edit: I think it's good that the LM386 is socketed, by the way! 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 129 of 133, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-18, 15:33:
Please let's be careful with models of Chinese origin, though. Some are out of spec, ie. may not be able to handle low-impedanc […]
Show full quote
matze79 wrote on 2022-10-18, 14:08:

Please let's be careful with models of Chinese origin, though.
Some are out of spec, ie. may not be able to handle low-impedance Walkman headphones (in my case).

Had this issue myself with a Pixie CW transceiver kit bought online.
The 386 shipped was faulty. Replacing it with a real LM386 from a know manufacturer fixed the issue instantly.
I got that IC in a totally old school way by buying it locally in an electronic shop.

You know, you leave the house (physically), get into a tram, leave the tram at the right station and enter the building.
Were a grim looking dude sits behind the counter, next to an LCD PC monitor displaying some ancient DOS program (article/solid state database). 😀

Then you go to the boxes of ICs and look for the genuine LM386s.
Which, if you're lucky, reside there for 20-30 years. Before China parts became ubiquitous.
That's my story, essentially. 😀

Edit: I think it's good that the LM386 is socketed, by the way! 🙂👍

A physical IC shop? Did you ride a unicorn between the tram and there?

I kid of course. I'm also super jealous. I'm not sure there is any such place within 100 miles of me.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 130 of 133, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh well, Chinese Lm386 also sounds often shitty.

And maybe contains different circuit (muting circuit not working then..)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 132 of 133, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2020-06-26, 14:07:
A Building Kit Version of the Tandy Card, featuring only necessary Stuff: […]
Show full quote

A Building Kit Version of the Tandy Card, featuring only necessary Stuff:

tndy_nano.jpg
tndy_nano_operating.jpg

properly one of the smallest Soundcard existing.
I needed a extra low profile Version for a Friend.
Why not make one ?
and here it is!
Only 3.8cm in height with Connector.

Its almost similar to the First Version but with added Fixes.

What is this? A sound card that adds "Tandy Sound" support to IBM compatibles? Don't a lot of games do weird checks for that, like scanning the BIOS for the word "Tandy"?

Reply 133 of 133, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-09-29, 02:20:
matze79 wrote on 2020-06-26, 14:07:
A Building Kit Version of the Tandy Card, featuring only necessary Stuff: […]
Show full quote

A Building Kit Version of the Tandy Card, featuring only necessary Stuff:

tndy_nano.jpg
tndy_nano_operating.jpg

properly one of the smallest Soundcard existing.
I needed a extra low profile Version for a Friend.
Why not make one ?
and here it is!
Only 3.8cm in height with Connector.

Its almost similar to the First Version but with added Fixes.

What is this? A sound card that adds "Tandy Sound" support to IBM compatibles? Don't a lot of games do weird checks for that, like scanning the BIOS for the word "Tandy"?

Yes, exactly that. There are collections of patched game binaries to take care of the Tandy detection problem.