VOGONS

Crystal sound chip

Topic actions

First post, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My HP Vectra vei 8 seems to have an intergrated Crystal sound chip 4280 onboard.
Many trys to install right drivers with no succes in win98.... I guess its turned off in Bios.
Does someone know wich setting (somewhere in integrated peripheral i think....) it is?

Thanks!

Rise of the Triad

Reply 2 of 25, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This chip isnt bad at all. I do have a Vectra VEi8 HP MITAC OEM board as well. It should work with the drivers I have attached below. It will also install a TSR for Soundblaster compatibility in the autoexec.bat (cw*audio.com).
In addition to that I have also added an additional Crystal Soundfont

additional Crystal SoundFont (This can be installed after the driver below, and iirc gives you an additional soundbank as well as the ways and means to switch them)

Filename
wko2z1en.zip
File size
1.21 MiB
Downloads
153 downloads
File license
Public domain

The driver for W9x (This should be installed first)

Filename
wko1x1en.zip
File size
1.1 MiB
Downloads
199 downloads
File license
Public domain

You only have a single option in the BIOS iirc, and that is to enable/disable the integrated audio.

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2020-06-30, 19:09. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote on 2020-06-30, 16:46:
This chip isnt bad at all. I do have a Vectra VEi8 HP MITAC OEM board as well. It should work with the drivers I have attached b […]
Show full quote

This chip isnt bad at all. I do have a Vectra VEi8 HP MITAC OEM board as well. It should work with the drivers I have attached below. It will also install a TSR for Soundblaster compatibility in the autoexec.bat (VIAUDIO.com).
In addition to that I have also added the VIAFMTSR.com for full FM sound, as well as an additional Crystal Soundfont

additional FM TSR (add this to the autoexec.bat below the one that VIA already adds after drivers installation)
viafmtsr.zip

additional Crystal SoundFont (This can be installed after the driver below, and iirc gives you an additional soundbank as well as the ways and means to switch them)
wko2z1en.zip

The driver for W9x (This should be installed first)
wko1x1en.zip

You only have a single option in the BIOS iirc, and that is to enable/disable the integrated audio.

Great and many thanks.
Ill try this now. First i have to see if in bios theres a setting for onboard audio on/off. So that i know for sure thats not an issue.
👍

Rise of the Triad

Reply 4 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-30, 14:52:

Isn't the 4280 dependent on the AC'97 codec it's paired with? Have you tried installing drivers for that?

Ill try jaZz_KCS suggestion. But never thought it would be such a hassle. Thanks for your suggestion 👍
But then again reviving 25year old stuff is fun!

Rise of the Triad

Reply 5 of 25, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-30, 17:48:

Isn't the 4280 dependent on the AC'97 codec it's paired with? Have you tried installing drivers for that?

Ill try jaZz_KCS suggestion. But never thought it would be such a hassle. Thanks for your suggestion 👍

IIRC those drivers I posted are the VIA AC97 drivers for this Crystal chip.
Under WIndows 9x it should result in two devices being successfully installed (three including the GamePort)
AC97 Audio, Legacy device and GamePort

Reply 7 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote on 2020-06-30, 17:51:
IIRC those drivers I posted are the VIA AC97 drivers for this Crystal chip. Under WIndows 9x it should result in two devices bei […]
Show full quote
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-30, 17:48:

IIRC those drivers I posted are the VIA AC97 drivers for this Crystal chip.
Under WIndows 9x it should result in two devices being successfully installed (three including the GamePort)
AC97 Audio, Legacy device and GamePort

Ive tried your driver. Took out my pci -ESS solo card for it.
Went into BIOS but nothing pointing towards an setting for audio.
Intsalled your driver, restarted but nothing happended.
Onboard audio doesten't show in device manager but i can see an Crystal 4280cm chip on the motherboard

Rise of the Triad

Reply 9 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the chip is not detected either as an unknown device or something like it in device manager and there is no option to enable or disable it in BIOS, things are not looking good .

To be sure, please download and run pcilist.exe under Windows and post a screencap from sound card info . Link http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html , if there is a device of that type to be found .

Reply 10 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote on 2020-06-30, 16:46:

Added some images from my Bios.
Im stuck for now.
026865b43ee3502b61d42574c8b07aa3.jpg
0834d553dddf788895fdaea8dae6675f.jpg
cb5326fc2b0e254843943a630e10ac02.jpg
fd6dff042a28e749cd6a4d6970bbb9de.jpg
4c90bd81d0f6f468ced31f6e4c103459.jpg

Rise of the Triad

Reply 11 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-30, 18:43:

If the chip is not detected either as an unknown device or something like it in device manager and there is no option to enable or disable it in BIOS, things are not looking good .

To be sure, please download and run pcilist.exe under Windows and post a screencap from sound card info . Link http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html , if there is a device of that type to be found .

I think its bad indd

Rise of the Triad

Reply 12 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-30, 18:43:

Checked it, great app.
Finds the onboard Matrox card but no crystal or whatever audio. (Except my ESS Solo PCI card)

So it has 3 PCI slots and one ISA. Reason for me to look for internal sound was to clear one PCI slot.
I have 2 monster 3d II cards SLI with the Viper550. So all 3 pci slots used. One ISA remains open --> I have an Aztech galaxy 2316 Washington ISA card.
So if the Crystal chip isn't working i'll use that, anything other than drivers for this card to install? Win98 would recognize it automatically.

Rise of the Triad

Reply 13 of 25, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, you are right, I just remembered... There is indeed no option on this board's BIOS to disable the onboard audio. No jumper either, it is always enabled... Same goes for the onboard video (iirc you only have the option to choose which video adapter to initialize first (AGP or PCI, whereas AGP is the integrated video). I remembered that I always installed the drivers for both - onboard Matrox G200 and AC97 - and disabled them in the Device Manager in order to use dedicated alternatives instead. If it doesnt show up in the Device Manager normally, there might be a hardware fault, for example old caps or something alike hindering the audio chip from getting detected, maybe? What does PCIList say? I have to get out my old Vectra to do further testing, and I remember that I have a spare VEi8 MiTAC board as well somewhere.

Any other visible faults? cut traces, bent/shorted legs, cap juice, etc...? Tried a BIOS flash and/or reset? You might want to use the BIOS that is patched for up too 128GB drives as well...

Reply 14 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-30, 18:32:
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/db/7d/2d/db7d2dc123d618efb70bf9b5a3ed5638.jpg https://i.pinimg.com/236x/dd/cd/e3/ddcde31890eaaad012ffb […]
Show full quote

db7d2dc123d618efb70bf9b5a3ed5638.jpg
ddcde31890eaaad012ffb00299a3f57f.jpg
566b2af38708ee4602854e65430957a8.jpg

Ive tried to make some pics. Someone might recognize the motherboard.
Is there a jumper needs to be set?

Those are some tiny/low res pics. I can see what looks like an Intel chipset, I even see a chip that might be the AC'97 codec (small and square behind the audio connectors), but no way I can identify board or chip like this. You can upload pics here on Vogons, try some >1024p pics.

Is this the correct system?
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/lpv06681.pdf

In that case it's a Crystal CS4297 Audio Codec ‘97, and the driver jaZz_KCS posted is indeed the original HP driver that should work. If you're having trouble, try extracting the .exe archive manually first, then running SETUP.EXE

Reply 15 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote on 2020-06-30, 19:03:

Sorry, you are right, I just remembered... There is indeed no option on this board's BIOS to disable the onboard audio. No jumper either, it is always enabled... Same goes for the onboard video (iirc you only have the option to choose which video adapter to initialize first (AGP or PCI, whereas AGP is the integrated video). I remembered that I always installed the drivers for both - onboard Matrox G200 and AC97 - and disabled them in the Device Manager in order to use dedicated alternatives instead. If it doesnt show up in the Device Manager normally, there might be a hardware fault, for example old caps or something alike hindering the audio chip from getting detected, maybe? What does PCIList say? I have to get out my old Vectra to do further testing, and I remember that I have a spare VEi8 MiTAC board as well somewhere.

Any other visible faults? cut traces, bent/shorted legs, cap juice, etc...? Tried a BIOS flash and/or reset? You might want to use the BIOS that is patched for up too 128GB drives as well...

Call me a noob but never flashed a bios. I see no visible damage or any indication of faulty hardware. All looks clean and crisp.
So bios doesnt report a audio setting, its indeed inline with the matrox onboard always on. But that one is visible in pcilist and device manager.
Thanks for your input 👍

Rise of the Triad

Reply 16 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-30, 20:51:
Those are some tiny/low res pics. I can see what looks like an Intel chipset, I even see a chip that might be the AC'97 codec (s […]
Show full quote
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/db/7d/2d/db7d2dc123d618efb70bf9b5a3ed5638.jpg https://i.pinimg.com/236x/dd/cd/e3/ddcde31890eaaad012ffb […]
Show full quote

Those are some tiny/low res pics. I can see what looks like an Intel chipset, I even see a chip that might be the AC'97 codec (small and square behind the audio connectors), but no way I can identify board or chip like this. You can upload pics here on Vogons, try some >1024p pics.

In that case it's a Crystal CS4297 Audio Codec ‘97, and the driver jaZz_KCS posted is indeed the original HP driver that should work. If you're having trouble, try extracting the .exe archive manually first, then running SETUP.EXE

Sorry for the lowres pics howdo you upload instead of using a url from another upload site?
The driver by jaZz_KCS ran normal after unzipping.
Ran setup giving me the install. Program finished and to restart pc ..... nothing happens. So its not the install file. I think 🤔 its the hardware thats faulty 😥.

Rise of the Triad

Reply 17 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-30, 20:51:
Those are some tiny/low res pics. I can see what looks like an Intel chipset, I even see a chip that might be the AC'97 codec (s […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Yes your pdf shows right system.

Your advice:
I have an Aztech ISA Sound Card Model FCC I38-MMSN834 for the isa slot. Will Win 98 recognise it Or better with another isa card?

Thanks 😊 🙏

Rise of the Triad

Reply 18 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-06-30, 21:47:
[...] Sorry for the lowres pics howdo you upload instead of using a url from another upload site? The driver by jaZz_KCS ran nor […]
Show full quote

[...]
Sorry for the lowres pics howdo you upload instead of using a url from another upload site?
Ran setup giving me the install. Program finished and to restart pc ..... nothing happens. So its not the install file. I think 🤔 its the hardware thats faulty 😥.

Hang on... this sounds familiar.

I had the same problem recently with a Dell OEM Intel SE440BX-3 and its onboard Yamaha YMF724 sound chip. In my case it was getting detected, but absolutely no driver worked with it. Turns out that some previous owner didn't like the Dell OEM BIOS on that board and flashed it with a retail Intel SE440BX-2 BIOS. The two boards are very similar, but the -2 has a YMF704 with a different PCI ID. Those incorrect data messed up driver install. After I flashed back to Dell -3 BIOS, everything worked straight away. The irony is that the Intel BIOS didn't have any extra settings anyway.

Your board is also OEM, could it be someone flashed a non-HP BIOS on there? Telltale sign is that the HP BIOS should give you a big "HP" in your screen every boot. See something else? Then try flashing the original HP BIOS back...

[...] Yes your pdf shows right system. […]
Show full quote

[...]

Your advice:
I have an Aztech ISA Sound Card Model FCC I38-MMSN834 for the isa slot. Will Win 98 recognise it Or better with another isa card?

Thanks 😊 🙏

It won't recognize it automatically, as it's a non-PnP card. But if you let Windows search for non-PnP hardware and when it finds something, tell it it's an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 (or similar), it should work.

Reply 19 of 25, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-30, 23:19:
Hang on... this sounds familiar. […]
Show full quote
[...] Sorry for the lowres pics howdo you upload instead of using a url from another upload site? The driver by jaZz_KCS ran nor […]
Show full quote

[...]

Hang on... this sounds familiar.

I had the same problem recently with a Dell OEM Intel SE440BX-3 and its onboard Yamaha YMF724 sound chip. In my case it was getting detected, but absolutely no driver worked with it. Turns out that some previous owner didn't like the Dell OEM BIOS on that board and flashed it with a retail Intel SE440BX-2 BIOS. The two boards are very similar, but the -2 has a YMF704 with a different PCI ID. Those incorrect data messed up driver install. After I flashed back to Dell -3 BIOS, everything worked straight away. The irony is that the Intel BIOS didn't have any extra settings anyway.

Your board is also OEM, could it be someone flashed a non-HP BIOS on there? Telltale sign is that the HP BIOS should give you a big "HP" in your screen every boot. See something else? Then try flashing the original HP BIOS back...

[...] Yes your pdf shows right system. […]
Show full quote

[...]

Your advice:

Thanks 😊 🙏

It won't recognize it automatically, as it's a non-PnP card. But if you let Windows search for non-PnP hardware and when it finds something, tell it it's an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 (or similar), it should work.

Yes I see a big HP logo during startup. I cant tell if someone mangled with it because i bought it secondhand for a very cheap price (20 eu). And for that money it's still a great system 😀.
Or the've tried to flash a newer version and it failed or might be a cap or some faulty hardware.
I see something of an ISA bridge and PCI bridge in windows device mangager so my simple guess would be that it recognizes PCI cards it also will with the ISA slot?

Rise of the Triad