VOGONS

First post, by crazyzed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bought my self an AWE64 Gold, but I’m having problems with the sound out.
I have the problem in both my DOS 6.22 install and in Windows 98SE.
I first noticed that the sound was very low, and that it din’t seem to pan left and right properly. So I did these quick tests below:

Pan centered = Low volume in both speakers. Almost no bass when I played a CD.
Pan left = Higher volume in both speakers. Bass is more noticeable.
Pan right = Higher volume in both speakers. Bass is more noticeable.
If I unplug the left RCA there’s no sound in either speaker regardless of panning.
If I unplug the right RCA there’s no sound in either speaker regardless of panning.
It sounds as if it’s mono coming out!

If I pull out the RCA connectors so that just the inner connector has contact with the card, it still sounds as before. Shouldn’t both the inner and the outer connector need contact for it to sound?

918BA824-F8AE-4688-9DB3-71EA92139CE7.jpeg
Filename
918BA824-F8AE-4688-9DB3-71EA92139CE7.jpeg
File size
291.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is the RCA adapters I just bought, I bought two of them and have tried both. I have also tried two different headphones.

2840E80A-F903-4693-BEE2-4CA997D53487.jpeg
Filename
2840E80A-F903-4693-BEE2-4CA997D53487.jpeg
File size
288.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What’s going on here?

Reply 1 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The line output on sound cards is not meant to drive headphones. You should try hooking it up to powered speakers or an AVR

Also in your first pic the RCA plugs are not plugged in all the way

Reply 2 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-09, 14:27:

I think that's the whole point x3

pretty sure that adapter is wired incorrectly, as with no ground connected there should be no audio at all?

the channels probably get shorted together somehow hence why it gets louder when you disable one side, and if you disconnect one side there is no "ground" path.

though I can't really explain all the effects that are happening there either, you should check the connections on the adapter with a multimeter, measuring inside the 3.5mm socket might be hard, so it'd be handy if you have a loose 3.5mm plug/cable to plug in and test on that.

https://pinoutguide.com/Audio-Video-Hardware/ … 5s_pinout.shtml
I'd guess that at least one of the channels connects to ground instead of L or R

that would explain why you get no audio if one side is unplugged, cause there is no path for the other signal to go to, and why it's silent when both are on cause they probably cancel each other out or something like that.

I would refrain from plugging them in again anywhere.

Last edited by imi on 2020-07-09, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-07-09, 14:31:
I think that's the whole point x3 […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-09, 14:27:

I think that's the whole point x3

pretty sure that adapter is wired incorrectly, as with no ground connected there should be no audio at all?

the channels probably get shorted together somehow hence why it gets louder when you disable one side, and if you disconnect one side there is no "ground" path.

though I can't really explain all the effects that are happening there either, you should check the connections on the adapter with a multimeter.

I would refrain from plugging them in again anywhere.

Oh right I missed where he said that was intentional

Easy enough to buzz out the dongle and see what's going on with it

Reply 4 of 9, by crazyzed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your replies 😀

The problem was me, I’m embarrassed to admit.
I have this computer at work, and just grabbed the first headset I could find. I didn’t even notice that it had one extra connector for volume control. When they did’t work I tried a an old iPhone headset, of course they have that extra connector too.
So when I finally tried a proper headset that I had at home with just the 3 connectors on it, it work just fine.

Reply 9 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
crazyzed wrote on 2020-07-11, 04:56:

Yea I have no idea. Maybe the adapter is poorly designed, having the contact surfaces placed slightly wrong inside, creating a short circuit?

The symptoms you describe sound like a bad / not working ground connection. The can very well be due to the TRRS headset (with the extra contact) and the (possibly cheap) chinch/TRS adapter. On classic TRS plugs, the sleeve contact (the long contact in the back) is ground. On TRRS plug, just the second ring is ground, whereas the sleeve (at the very end of the plug) is the microphone/volume control. If the jack in your adapter connects RCA ground to the microphone area instead of the proper ground ring, you will experience exactly what you described.

So it is extremely likely that the RCA/TRS adapter is just incompatible with TRRS headsets because of an unfortunate position of the ground connection. If you don't insert the RCA plugs into the AWE completely, you will loose the outer connection, which is ground. You still hear sound if both RCA plugs are inserted, because the electric circuit is completed from the left "hot" wire, through the left earpiece to the internal headset ground (which is not connected to AWE64 ground), then through the right earpiece into the right "hot" wire.