VOGONS

First post, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an MT-32 (0ld) and a real MPU-401 card hooked up to my Super Socket 7 system (K6-iii). When I start up x-wing i see a buffer overflow error message. I tried using setmul to disable L1 and L2 cache and lowered the multiplier as low as I could (2x) and I still saw the error.

Using SoftMPU and the /DELAYSYSEX option it does fix the issue but I was hoping to not need SoftMPU since I have a real MPU-401 card. I noticed that when I play X-Wing that sometimes there is slowdown in the music. If I am changing targets or switching the power between shields/lasers etc. I don't know if this is normal or a side effect of using SoftMPU or slowing down the CPU too much using setmul.

I believe that there are some benefits to having the MT-32 (old) but the new version does not have the buffer overflow issue (correct me if I am wrong). Is there a way to fix the overflow on an MT-32 (old) without loosing whatever sound/compatibility advantages it has?

I have seen postings for a 1.0.7 firmware upgrade and some even mention a "blue ridge" enhancement. Is the "blue ridge" a non-Roland enhancement/patch? Would upgrading the firmware fix the buffer overflow issue?

Sorry there are a lot of questions here

Reply 1 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kynrek wrote on 2020-07-11, 01:01:
I have an MT-32 (0ld) and a real MPU-401 card hooked up to my Super Socket 7 system (K6-iii). When I start up x-wing i see a buf […]
Show full quote

I have an MT-32 (0ld) and a real MPU-401 card hooked up to my Super Socket 7 system (K6-iii). When I start up x-wing i see a buffer overflow error message. I tried using setmul to disable L1 and L2 cache and lowered the multiplier as low as I could (2x) and I still saw the error.

Using SoftMPU and the /DELAYSYSEX option it does fix the issue but I was hoping to not need SoftMPU since I have a real MPU-401 card. I noticed that when I play X-Wing that sometimes there is slowdown in the music. If I am changing targets or switching the power between shields/lasers etc. I don't know if this is normal or a side effect of using SoftMPU or slowing down the CPU too much using setmul.

I believe that there are some benefits to having the MT-32 (old) but the new version does not have the buffer overflow issue (correct me if I am wrong). Is there a way to fix the overflow on an MT-32 (old) without loosing whatever sound/compatibility advantages it has?

I have seen postings for a 1.0.7 firmware upgrade and some even mention a "blue ridge" enhancement. Is the "blue ridge" a non-Roland enhancement/patch? Would upgrading the firmware fix the buffer overflow issue?

I use my OLD MT-32 with firmware version 1.07 with an AWE64's MIDI port on a Pentium 1.4GHZ 512K and I have never gotten a buffer overflow on it . I have never needed to use the /delaysysex option when using SOFTMPU (I have however used SETMUL to disable L1 cache for some problematic games games like Gateway to work).

I do not know whether this is due to using firmware 1.07 or another factor .

Reply 2 of 7, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-11, 01:24:
I have an MT-32 (0ld) and a real MPU-401 card hooked up to my Super Socket 7 system (K6-iii). When I start up x-wing i see a buf […]
Show full quote

I use my OLD MT-32 with firmware version 1.07 with an AWE64's MIDI port on a Pentium 1.4GHZ 512K and I have never gotten a buffer overflow on it . I have never needed to use the /delaysysex option when using SOFTMPU (I have however used SETMUL to disable L1 cache for some problematic games games like Gateway to work).

Good to know, thanks for sharing! I may try doing the ROM upgrade to see if it fixes it. Anyone else have any info ? Anyone know what size socket I need to get for the IC's My roms are soldered to the board and I want to socket them if I replace them.

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kynrek wrote on 2020-07-11, 01:33:
Show full quote

Good to know, thanks for sharing! I may try doing the ROM upgrade to see if it fixes it. Anyone else have any info ? Anyone know what size socket I need to get for the IC's My roms are soldered to the board and I want to socket them if I replace them.

Before you do that, have you checked which version of the ROM you currently have ?

Reply 4 of 7, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-11, 01:43:

Before you do that, have you checked which version of the ROM you currently have ?

No, Not sure how to I assume it is an older version.

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kynrek wrote on 2020-07-11, 01:52:

To double check the ROM verson, you need to:
1. power off if on
2. press and hold these buttons : part 4, Rythm, Master Volume
3. turn power on.

Source : Re: Help to Identify this MT-32

Reply 6 of 7, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-11, 02:07:
To double check the ROM verson, you need to: 1. power off if on 2. press and hold these buttons : part 4, Rythm, Master Volume 3 […]
Show full quote

1. power off if on
3. turn power on.

Thanks I followed the instructions and saw the message "Ver 1.07 10 Oct 87 Tks to Masa + Adrian" So I guess upgrading the firmware isn't an option.

Reply 7 of 7, by fportela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kynrek wrote on 2020-07-11, 04:01:
darry wrote on 2020-07-11, 02:07:
To double check the ROM verson, you need to: 1. power off if on 2. press and hold these buttons : part 4, Rythm, Master Volume 3 […]
Show full quote

1. power off if on
3. turn power on.

Thanks I followed the instructions and saw the message "Ver 1.07 10 Oct 87 Tks to Masa + Adrian" So I guess upgrading the firmware isn't an option.

Mine is 1.07 too and suffers from the same problem. However, all the games that shows the infamous message were released much later in the 90s, when General MIDI was already the de facto standard and all these plays much better in Sound Canvas SC-55