VOGONS

First post, by D-Generation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, I got the opportunity to pick up a couple of MIDI modules for a decent price. Both are in good shape and stated as working.
One of these is an SC-88VL which I've been trying to get working on my Windows 7 machine. Unfortunately, despite trying everything .. there is no sound?
My Roland UM-ONEs 'OUT' cable is connected to the MIDI IN A port, the 'IN' cable connected to the OUT/ THRU port, and an audio cable running from the headphone jack to my sound-cards line in port.
The UM-ONE is configured through CoolSoft MIDIMapper and it's 'OUT' indicator lights up when a midi file is played. But the SC88 doesn't seem to recieve any midi messages. Did I do something wrong?

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did you try the MIDI IN B port?
for starters just connect the UM_OUT to 88_IN port cable, there is no need for a 2nd cable for playback
maybe try and do a factory reset on the 88VL unit - it can happen the previous owner had configured it to his own setup

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by D-Generation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your replies. I did a factory reset and finally got it working by connecting the 'IN' cable (labelled with 'Connect to midi in') into 'MIDI IN A' and setting the computer switch to 'midi' which was previously set to 'pc-1'. I've noticed that there is some static coming through when playing certain files, but apart from that everything work fine.

Reply 4 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
D-Generation wrote on 2020-08-27, 22:35:

Thank you for your replies. I did a factory reset and finally got it working by connecting the 'IN' cable (labelled with 'Connect to midi in') into 'MIDI IN A' and setting the computer switch to 'midi' which was previously set to 'pc-1'. I've noticed that there is some static coming through when playing certain files, but apart from that everything work fine.

pc1 etc. are used for connection via serial cable. It sets the module to the correct serial communication settings.