VOGONS

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just recently ordered a DreamBlaster X2 and my intent is to use it as a waveblaster daughterboard.

However, according to the manual, all preset configuration and soundbank loading is done over a USB connection .

This leads me to the following questions about leaving the DreamBlaster X2 in its waveblaster socket on the sound card and have it simultaneously connected via USB on the same PC while said PC is powered on :

a) Is it dangerous for the X2 to be simultaneously plugged in via waveblaster connector AND USB to a PC while the said PC is powered on ?
b) Assuming a is safe, will the DreamBlaster X2 repond to MIDI data via the waveblaster connector while it is connected to a PC via USB ?

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2020-09-03, 05:40:

pretty sure thats just to set it up before you plug it in to a card.

You are likely right, but the manual does not explicitly mention that .

My hope was that I could leave USB connected to tweak the X2 during use or change soundbanks whenever I wanted .

A really ugly workaround, if required (i.e. if USB connection disables waveblaster MIDI), would be to have the USB connection routed through a USB hub with an on ON/OFF switch .

Reply 3 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like I found my answer : Re: Dreamblaster X2 Loader on Windows 98 not working

derSammler wrote on 2020-02-15, 11:04:

While not related to the problem: never connect the X2 via USB when it's connected to a sound card in a system that is powered. You may damage the X2 by this.