VOGONS

First post, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple years ago there were apparently ATX 20 pin -5v adapters for sale on eBay (for ISA -5v card requirements). Either nothing like that is available any longer, or I haven't been able to conjure up the magic search terms to see them for sale today.

Does anyone know if anything like that is still available, and if so where? I don't feel I have the skill to go the DIY route, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-09-03, 15:04:

You might want to check out this project: ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter!

Oh that's very cool. I'm looking to provide -5v to an ATX motherboard, not AT, but that's just at the moment. I have a 386 project on the sidelines that could use something like this. I love over-engineered, as long as it's not a car. 😀

Reply 3 of 14, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd recommend the DIY route, nonetheless.
You need a 7905 negative voltage regulator to turn the -12V into -5V. It is a three-pin device that looks roughly like a transistor.
The 7905 needs a 100nF capacitor for its input voltage and another one for its output voltage.
That's it!

Reply 4 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2020-09-03, 15:42:
I'd recommend the DIY route, nonetheless. You need a 7905 negative voltage regulator to turn the -12V into -5V. It is a three-pi […]
Show full quote

I'd recommend the DIY route, nonetheless.
You need a 7905 negative voltage regulator to turn the -12V into -5V. It is a three-pin device that looks roughly like a transistor.
The 7905 needs a 100nF capacitor for its input voltage and another one for its output voltage.
That's it!

Could this be done via just a small solderable breadboard? I've soldered before but I've never modified anything before. Do you happen to know where I'd look for any sort of examples of how this is done? I could probably follow along if there was something like a step by step. 😀

Reply 5 of 14, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be done with a small solderable breadboard. Even without, in fact.
If you don't need fancy looks, take a screw terminal strip and call it a day.

Yes, a clean mod would put everything inside the PSU itself, but for a beginner project let's not open that.
I'm not aware of ATX-related examples, but the old and new ATX pinout and the 7905 datasheet should be all you need.

Reply 6 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might be possible to track down an old PSU from the early 2000s which still has -5V.

As an example, take a look at this LC Power 550W which I bought recently. I don't think I have any sound cards which require -5V to test it though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 14, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
superkato1k wrote on 2020-09-03, 15:25:

You might want to check out this project: ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter!

Oh that's very cool. I'm looking to provide -5v to an ATX motherboard, not AT, but that's just at the moment. I have a 386 project on the sidelines that could use something like this. I love over-engineered, as long as it's not a car. 😀

Interesting. So if I understand correctly, your ATX motherboard doesn't require -5V to function, but will pass it through to the proper ISA slot pins if it's provided by the PSU?

Reply 8 of 14, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As strange as this sounds if you don’t use serial or a modem I have (in some circumstances) just taken a burnt at psu and wired the connectors direct to an atx with it hardwired on and all seemed to work

YMMV

Reply 9 of 14, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also use this module, solder GND to GND, +5V to VIN and it will output -5V on -VOUT pin
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2662-Switched-Capa … er/114190379944
you could also add a capacitor (100uF or larger electrolytic rated for 10V or more) on between GND and -VOUT (minus of capacitor to -VOUT, not to GND)

or use this one, it has tantalum capacitors and should be good without external capacitor https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2662-Switched-Capa … le/323897283334

It should allow more current and will heat less than 7905. But 7905 should be fine if you power supply has resonably strong -12V line. But if -12V is rated for only 10mA or so, I would use LM2662. You could also put a protective Schottky diode between -5V out and -5V cable.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 10 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2020-09-03, 16:46:
It could be done with a small solderable breadboard. Even without, in fact. If you don't need fancy looks, take a screw terminal […]
Show full quote

It could be done with a small solderable breadboard. Even without, in fact.
If you don't need fancy looks, take a screw terminal strip and call it a day.

Yes, a clean mod would put everything inside the PSU itself, but for a beginner project let's not open that.
I'm not aware of ATX-related examples, but the old and new ATX pinout and the 7905 datasheet should be all you need.

I'll do a little Youtubin' etc and see what happens. Thanks! 😀

Reply 11 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-09-03, 17:25:
superkato1k wrote on 2020-09-03, 15:25:

Interesting. So if I understand correctly, your ATX motherboard doesn't require -5V to function, but will pass it through to the proper ISA slot pins if it's provided by the PSU?

Exactly. This particular ATX board's BIOS tracks -5v as well, so it's looking for it, but not for it's own purposes, rather for any ISA cards that may need that fifth B-side pin.

Reply 12 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-09-03, 17:28:

As strange as this sounds if you don’t use serial or a modem I have (in some circumstances) just taken a burnt at psu and wired the connectors direct to an atx with it hardwired on and all seemed to work

YMMV

Wow, I wouldn't have even thought of that. And it worked? I don't have a spare AT psu, but definitely an interesting possibility if I were to get hold of one.

Reply 13 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adalbert wrote on 2020-09-03, 20:39:
You could also use this module, solder GND to GND, +5V to VIN and it will output -5V on -VOUT pin https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM266 […]
Show full quote

You could also use this module, solder GND to GND, +5V to VIN and it will output -5V on -VOUT pin
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2662-Switched-Capa … er/114190379944
you could also add a capacitor (100uF or larger electrolytic rated for 10V or more) on between GND and -VOUT (minus of capacitor to -VOUT, not to GND)

or use this one, it has tantalum capacitors and should be good without external capacitor https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2662-Switched-Capa … le/323897283334

It should allow more current and will heat less than 7905. But 7905 should be fine if you power supply has resonably strong -12V line. But if -12V is rated for only 10mA or so, I would use LM2662. You could also put a protective Schottky diode between -5V out and -5V cable.

Oh that's very helpful, thanks for the links as well. I'm going to try and wrap my head around this and see what I can do. And yes, fortunately the PSU is pretty good (Seasonic Gold 650W - smallest reasonably decent PSU I could pick up locally) with pretty beefy 12v. It's got a pretty high-performing 5v rail for a modern ATX, which I was concerned about (though still nothing close to the 5v rail of an early ATX).

Reply 14 of 14, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-03, 16:58:

It might be possible to track down an old PSU from the early 2000s which still has -5V.

As an example, take a look at this LC Power 550W which I bought recently. I don't think I have any sound cards which require -5V to test it though.

I've been keeping my eyes open for an older ATX to be available on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Unfortunately models with -5v drop pretty infrequently, and I'm hesitant to drop $80-100 on a used 20 year old power supply. 🤣 I'm sure I'll catch something eventually!