VOGONS

First post, by FISHERMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear all,

Today i got in my hands an AWE64 GOLD and i am really impressed by its sound, but new confusing ideas came up to my mind....

FYI my current retro pc is:
P200mmx
32mb edo ram
S3 Virge Dx
SB16 vibra
cf 4gb
DOS 6.22 (NO WINDOWS installation at all)

I am really interested in Sierra games, that mainly support Mt-32 and with the help of Vogons members i have made a MUNT32 pi SD Card, based on a PI3B+ and with the use of a Roland midi cable and DB15MIDI adaptor, i am enjoying these games.

I have also bought a DREAMBLASTER SYNTH S2, which is also an excellent upgrade for the waveblaster header for sb16 (clones etc.), but not really easy to use together with Munt32pi. (AWE64 gold does not have a waveblaster header anyway..)

So my question is what should be my next upgrade in relation to AWE64, in order to have an all around better sound experience including Mt 32 games.

-1) Awe64 gold + SimmConn+32mb edo ram --> Can i load mt32 or other soundbanks through DOS or i need windows installation to get use of this setup?
-2) Awe64 gold + Current made MUNT32pi on Pi3b+ --> This will mean zero extra cost for me...but i think it is not enough. 😜
-3) Awe64 gold + X3MB+ Munt32pi --> Can this setup be overall ok for most of midi games ? Is it overkill ?
-4) Awe64 gold + MT32-PI baremental emulator project (Edu Arana) --> It is already being sold as a header for PI3B+, but does it offer something extra to my setup?
-5) Awe64 gold + MIDI PI 32 (Dreamblaster-Serdashop) --> Under development, but with a really nice case and quality as always from Serdashop. --> Should i wait for it, instead of buying an X3MB or a MT32-PI baremetal ?

I am confused which way to go and of course i cannot afford all of the above together 😜 i Know a gave you a headache already...i am sorryyyyyyyy

thanks in advance for your help!!!

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awe64 gold + SimmConn+32mb edo ram --> Can i load mt32 or other soundbanks through DOS

Technically yes, but practically no. Windows 9x is better.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 3, by FISHERMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so if I am getting this right I should consider moving to win98se to get advantage of the simmconn extra ram and load sf2 soundbanks. I am aware that there cannot be an all around solution to cover all types of sounds gm,gs,opl,mt32,sc55 and so on....but I am just trying to find a value for money approximate solution.

Thank you for your time and effort ...I am interested to listen to your way of handling this issue. Maybe to invest on an Orpheus or Awe64 legacy card ???