VOGONS

First post, by LarsJJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a lot of trial and error I finally got my SBCT3670 working under DOS and games that support the AWE32 for midi work and sound great. However, once I try to use general midi on games that don't natively support the AWE, things get problematic. Some games DO work with the emulation of say GM or the MT32, but others, oh my, the game fails to initialize the hardware and some games just outright crash my entire PC. For some games I can choose the standard SB option for synthesized music, but that just sound like 8 steps back. Besides, not all games support that and I'm left with no music on those. I've looked at multiple of Phil's video's on the subject and the problem stays the same.

My setup is a PII 266 with 512MB RAM. Anybody got any tips?

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The MIDI emulation TSR is only supposed to work properly with real-mode games, any protected mode games are probably not going to work unless they have native AWE support.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by LarsJJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Protected mode games are usually the games I can get to work with either GM or standard SB music. It's mainly the older games that are giving me a headache. A lot of old Sierra adventure games either crash, or give me a "unable to initialize sound hardware" error, upon which some of them will still run with sound (just not gm) or without sound at all. I am still running through a list of games to try, but up until now the results are all over the place.

Reply 4 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience with an AWE64 Value was - if you want to use it for General MIDI in DOS games, you're better off doing that from within Windows 9x.

Creative's Windows drivers are much more stable, and I didn't find a single game that couldn't use the AWE as a General MIDI device while running under the Win9x DOS prompt.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi