VOGONS

First post, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to setup a machine that can run Windows 1 to 10 with the most amount of capability because.....why not?

I've found later Pentium 4 processors can run Windows 10. Perhaps not that well, and why would you want to, but this allows the possibility of an all hardware Windows 1 to 10 upgrade path. But I also have been trying to get as much functionality as I can in every OS along the way.

So I have a machine setup with an Asus P5P800 mobo, a Creative Labs ES1373 Sound Blaster PCI sound card, and a Venus DGX4 S3 ViRGE/GX 86C385 4MB PCI VGA Video Card. My hope being this hardware combination can be configured for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 functionality on this machine. Not for serious use, of course, but to do more than just upgrade and move on to the next upgrade. Actually demonstrate some level of real functionality in each version of Windows before doing the next upgrade.

So today I've been playing around with getting sound out of the sound card just in DOS before any Windows comes into play. I've used this sound card in 95 before with no problem, so I'm not worried there. I've not had luck in 3.1, but haven't played around a whole lot there yet. Been mostly focusing on DOS.

So I found other references to this card which led me to this DOS driver - http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=373

Installing that driver with the provided instructions - copying the folder and adding lines to the autoexec.bat file, results in errors at boot about needing EMM386. It would be nice if instructions about setting this up could be added to the install instructions for the driver, this would prevent one from following the instructions only to be met with an error and needing to chase down a solution, and would make for a more complete installation package.

So, I did some searching about this, but can't really find a clear straightforward answer as to how to set this up in DOS. Anytime I try to add suggested lines to the config.sys file to use EMM386, it results in booting to DOS 5.0 freezing on the line "EMM386 Active." I've let it sit a long time, and it doesn't move, and doesn't respond to ctrl-alt-delete - I have to power off or hit the reset button.

I'm using DOS 5.0 because Windows 1 doesn't work properly with DOS 6.22. But, for the purposes of troubleshooting, I tried this in DOS 6.22 . And I edited my config.sys file to have the lines:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMC
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Not sure if this is exactly what I want, but shows up a lot when searching about EMM386.EXE. Doing this in DOS6.22, in addition to installing the driver referenced earlier with the added autoexec.bat lines, has resulted in the card working in DOS. But back in DOS 5.0 ,the exact steps that result in working sound in DOS 6.22, still result in freezing on EMM386 on boot in DOS 5.0

So....I'm kinda stuck there. Any suggestions on how to get this driver to work in DOS 5.0?

Reply 1 of 3, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further updates - I went back to a DOS 6.22 install to play around with what was working, and I find that I get sound when starting Wolfenstein 3D, but then it will malfunction at some point.

I tried to shoot something - the game froze, I think the gun sound effect did it.

I restarted, tried again, was able to shoot and got the sound effect, but then the music froze, and the next time I tried to shoot....froze again.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JonnyGators wrote on 2020-11-01, 19:23:

Installing that driver with the provided instructions - copying the folder and adding lines to the autoexec.bat file, results in errors at boot about needing EMM386. It would be nice if instructions about setting this up could be added to the install instructions for the driver, this would prevent one from following the instructions only to be met with an error and needing to chase down a solution, and would make for a more complete installation package.

Are you expecting instructions targeting users interested in using the driver with MS-DOS 5.0 because they want to run Windows 1?

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMC
DOS=HIGH,UMB

I assume you meant "NOEMS" there.

So....I'm kinda stuck there. Any suggestions on how to get this driver to work in DOS 5.0?

It is entirely possible that the driver simply will not work with the DOS 5.0 version of EMM386. You can try an alternative, like JEMM386, but be advised it is completely incompatible with Windows.

If you insist on having MS-DOS 5.0 around so you can gawk at Windows 1.0 for ten minutes, I suggest using a boot floppy.

ETA: I should probably add:

JonnyGators wrote on 2020-11-01, 19:23:

I've found later Pentium 4 processors can run Windows 10.

The DOS drivers for PCI sound cards tend to require motherboard features that may not be present on Pentium 4 motherboards. The precise details are unfortunately rather nebulous. Usually on such machines it is better to run DOS games from an MS-DOS prompt after booting Win9x.

I've been trying to setup a machine that can run Windows 1 to 10 with the most amount of capability because.....why not?

Because it serves no real purpose and you will undoubtedly encounter a great deal of frustration and incomplete documentation that you will have to puzzle out on your own.

Reply 3 of 3, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative PCI sound cards are a hit or miss on newer boards as they have more requirements than other PCI sound cards. The newest motherboard I ever managed to get a Creative sound card working (SBLive in my case) was an i815EP-based board (Biostar M6TSU). For newer boards, either the TSR refused to load or that if it did load, legacy audio did not function properly.

This post by RayeR might be relevant. Since you're using a P5P800 (865PE), and you could manage to get some SFX output, your board might not be having the SERR#-to-NMI issue, but the board might be subject to other issues that made legacy emulation not working properly (see this, which was referenced in the aforementioned post).

Also, I recall you can't use NOEMS for those cards (they seem to make use of EMS for loading MIDI samples and such)... so given the typo NOEMC you're not really specifying NOEMS so EMM386 is loaded with EMS enabled, which is why the TSR could be loaded in your case.