VOGONS

Reply 61 of 66, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot 640k!Enough ! 😃 With your workaround I can continue my game of Simon The Sorcerer ][ enjoying it's awesome music on the sc88 without any ambient sound FX shredding my ears to bits. I'll keep my attention on a mixer that would allow me to adjust on the fly any sound source I have and this poor man mixing solution will be history.

I have not conduct much test but I was curious to compare CrystalFM to OPL3 volume for a same setting and it seem the OPL3 is louder than the CrystalFM, so maybe for game that use the OPL3 the mixing between the SB-PCMVol and OPL3 would be allright.

I notice the orphinit 53b (while not 52a and 53b-beta) output this string, I'm not sure what to make out of it :
WARNING: Plug and Play read data port changed from 3E3 to 3E7.
Board successfully initialised.

Reply 62 of 66, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-04-27, 01:22:

I notice the orphinit 53b (while not 52a and 53b-beta) output this string, I'm not sure what to make out of it :
WARNING: Plug and Play read data port changed from 3E3 to 3E7.
Board successfully initialised.

I think I know why that is happening, but I am not absolutely sure. Please run the following command and post the resulting file:
ORPHINIT /vd > output.txt

I would like to have a more detailed look to see if there is something that can be further refined for the next verison.

Reply 63 of 66, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There you go sir, I have no clue what you have in mind, but if you want anything else I'll be just glad to have the chance to help.

Attachments

• Filename
    OUTPUT.TXT
    File size
    2.15 KiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 64 of 66, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-04-27, 15:18:

There you go sir, I have no clue what you have in mind, but if you want anything else I'll be just glad to have the chance to help.

There seems to be something rather strange about the way your BIOS handles PnP support; I'm not sure if this points to another bug I have to fix, or if there isn't much to be done here. If you can tolerate one more request, can you attach the report, as I asked for in this post?

EDIT: I should have mentioned that this will be most useful if you create the report right after a cold boot, without first running ORPHINIT, UNISOUND or any other such tools.

Reply 65 of 66, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the EDIT, I was about to run the dump utility after init the card, silly me...

This i845 motherboard was nothing but trouble since I got it lately. Now things start to settle down and I can finally start to enjoy it. There is thing I have never seen before in this Phenixs AWARD bios, for instance I need to set DMA 1 in legacy ISA mode otherwise everything seem to work fine but I got no digital audio in some dos programs (like warcraft 1/2). At least I have a working Winbond W83628F W73629D PCI-to-ISA bridge. I was never able to identify this Chinese motherboard. That's why I was relieved someone with a more appropriate motherboard could confirm the SB-VoicePCM problem. And why I was selfish and say that this mixer issue was not really problematic, I was comparing to the other problems I faced with that motherboard (and I save you the hunt for a working AGP card or ram compatibility problem...). Anyway, who am I to judge of the severity of an issue ? 😅

I hope this dump is what you expect and I wish it help you with your project. Once again, if you need anything else, just ask!

Attachments

• Filename
    dump.7z
    File size
    2.4 KiB
    Downloads
    2 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 66 of 66, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-04-28, 02:41:

I hope this dump is what you expect and I wish it help you with your project. Once again, if you need anything else, just ask!

Thanks for the dump details. It provided a few hints about your system, and helped to confirm that ORPHINIT was not retrieving incorrect information, but the way that board handles PnP ISA devices is somewhat strange. I'm not sure if there is another obscure setting that would correct the behaviour, but it's probably not worth taking the time to look for it if you're not having trouble with other software or devices.

This whole investigation did lead me to make a few more small improvements to ORPHINIT, some of which may give better results on your system. Please be sure to update when the next release is ready.