VOGONS

First post, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, after months of work, I've finally managed to get it working!

I'm happy to announce the release of my latest sound card, the Snark Barker MCA! This is a Sound Blaster compatible card designed for Micro Channel bus computers, including the IBM PS/2 family.

The design files can be found here: https://github.com/schlae/snark-barker-mca.

And you can also follow the Twitter thread https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1333123576346468352.

Reply 1 of 27, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amazing ! congratulations!

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 3 of 27, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh dear, The Holy Grail of MicroChannel users has finally been found!

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome. So much for those sellers on eBay wanting hundreds or over a thousand dollars for a MCA sound blaster card. hahahahaha.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 27, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oof gonna have to get one of these at some point. Resound 2 is fine for DOS and Win 95 but I need some Windows 3.1 action. If this had a wavetable header it would be even better. Anyone doing a board order?

Early 90s: IBM PS/2 Server 95/A, Pentium 66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, IBM SCSI Corvette, SCSI2SD, 3 Com EtherLink III MCA, Resound 2 AdLib MCA
Late 90s: Micron Millenia MXE, ABIT VH6-II, Coppermine 1ghz, 1024MB, Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, GUS Max 2.1, 128GB SATA PNY SSD

Reply 9 of 27, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fantastic news! As I don't own a PS/2 I won't be building one this time around, but I am glad this happened!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 10 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a fantastic achievement !
I took the liberty of submitting to Hackaday and they just posted it .
https://hackaday.com/2020/12/01/giving-micro- … d-blaster-bark/

Reply 11 of 27, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gordon-creAtive.com wrote on 2020-12-01, 08:06:

Out of curiosity: Is the a reverse engineer job of the SoundBlaster MCA or a own redesign of the reverse engineered SoundBlaster ISA?

Both. The Sound Blaster part is based on the work I did with the Snark Barker ISA. The Micro Channel interface is mostly my own design which involved careful study of what (little) information I could find on the Sound Blaster MCV family of cards as well as the 82C612 bus interface chip.

Reply 12 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amazing work. Congrats on getting it working. It finally makes MCA-based PS/2 systems (and those few rare MCA-based clone systems) suitable for retro gaming. 👍

Reply 13 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, what's the success ratio of running software with SB SFX on MCA?
Once upon a time I saw some complaints about it failing due to DMA handling differences between ISA and MCA - is it a serious problem, affecting many important titles?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 14 of 27, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-03, 00:58:

BTW, what's the success ratio of running software with SB SFX on MCA?
Once upon a time I saw some complaints about it failing due to DMA handling differences between ISA and MCA - is it a serious problem, affecting many important titles?

Not that I can tell, but I haven't tested a large number of titles.

Reply 15 of 27, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If someone wants to do a run and sell me one, and if the price is reasonable, I wouldn't mind buying one of these for my IBM PS/2 running OS/2!

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 16 of 27, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OzzFan wrote on 2020-12-04, 12:57:

If someone wants to do a run and sell me one, and if the price is reasonable, I wouldn't mind buying one of these for my IBM PS/2 running OS/2!

Ditto. I'd try it myself if it weren't for that chip with the tiny leads... oof, nty.

Btw I found a possible problem in the parts list? This mouser # is listed twice 603-CFR-25JB-52-4K7.

Early 90s: IBM PS/2 Server 95/A, Pentium 66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, IBM SCSI Corvette, SCSI2SD, 3 Com EtherLink III MCA, Resound 2 AdLib MCA
Late 90s: Micron Millenia MXE, ABIT VH6-II, Coppermine 1ghz, 1024MB, Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, GUS Max 2.1, 128GB SATA PNY SSD

Reply 17 of 27, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Camtheman wrote on 2020-12-06, 06:39:
OzzFan wrote on 2020-12-04, 12:57:

Ditto. I'd try it myself if it weren't for that chip with the tiny leads... oof, nty.

Btw I found a possible problem in the parts list? This mouser # is listed twice 603-CFR-25JB-52-4K7.

The tiny-leaded component isn't really all that bad. I hand soldered it on the cards that I've built. Basically I line it up as best as I can using a microscope, a loupe, or a cellphone camera. Then I tack solder one corner pin, check the alignment, then tack solder the other corner pin. Then I go through and solder all the rest of the pins, using solder braid to clear any short circuits. Use lots of solder flux too.

The part numbers are correct, but that one line item got split into two due to a silly schematic issue which I just fixed and pushed to the repository.

Reply 18 of 27, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. Interesting. Might give it a go. Have you tested the card in Windows 3.1 and/or OS/2? Had issues with purportedly compatible cards being not compatible. Want to make sure =P

Reply 19 of 27, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Camtheman wrote on 2020-12-07, 11:26:

Hmm. Interesting. Might give it a go. Have you tested the card in Windows 3.1 and/or OS/2? Had issues with purportedly compatible cards being not compatible. Want to make sure =P

I have not. In theory it should work, but who knows.