VOGONS

First post, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a CT2890 soundcard here that I have been unable to get working. I have performed this troubleshooting on both Pentium 100 and Athlon 750 systems, ruling out BIOS issues.

Summary for DOS 6.22:

In a fresh DOS + Win3.11 install, I have installed CTCM and try to use CTCU. It lists the card, and "resources" show no conflicts anywhere. Hitting Test, I get failures on I/O port 220, Interrupt 5, DMA1, and DMa5. I/O Port 330 has a success.

On DOS boot, I do get a "Found Creative Plug and Play card : Creative ViBRA16A PnP message. Successfully configured 2 of 2 Creative Plus and Play devices."

My autoexec and config files after moving things around a few times to test/troubleshoot:

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF

SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X

PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LOADHIGH=C:\DOS\DOSKEY
LOADHIGH=C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /Q /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM ** FILES=30
FILES=40
device=C:\WINDOWS\workgrp.sys
LASTDRIVE=Z
STACKS=9,256

With the above. I can get MUSIC working in Doom and Duke3D, but no sound effects. No sound at all in Quake.

To test further, I tried an install of windows 98. Errors out of the box. I loaded the drivers from Creative's site, and the device manager is still giving me a yellow exclamation mark. No luck here.

I then tried newer - Windows XP. No drivers on Creatives site, but the ones that come with Windows XP also give me a hardware error.

Lastly, I have an AWE32 CT3980 PnP card and it works fine in all these environments, on both systems. My non-PnP SB16 CT2860 card also works fine in DOS.

Is there anything else I can do to get this working? I should also add that this appears to be an OEM card per Strange SB16 CT2890 encounter . My card matches that one - perhaps the hardware isn't compatible with anything except a custom Gateway driver?