VOGONS

First post, by Revolution

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to my dad's habit of never getting rid of old electronics, I've been tinkering with a legacy Windows 98 system lately, and I'm running into a thought that this forum might be able to help with.

I have both a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX (SB0090), without the breakout box, and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (SB0240), with the breakout box. I've been using the Audigy 2 for a while, and it works great for Windows 98, but its Sound Blaster 16 emulation is hacky and doesn't seem to have wide compatibility. Some games like Lemmings, Elite Plus, work perfectly; some games like Lemmings 3D won't see the card at all or otherwise fail to initialize; Tyrian 2k will actually crash my entire system if I try to turn on sound effects in the settings program. I remember seeing in other threads here when trying to solve issues that the Audigy 1 is just better for DOS games, and the hacky solution for the Audigy 2 even makes use of the Audigy 1 DOS drivers, so, why not switch over to that one?

The breakout box that the Audigy 2 uses is frankly essential for my use of the card on this system as it stands, the optical SPIDF output, MIDI I/O separate from the Game Port, as well as the RCA inputs are beyond useful. I can't just swap out the cards and keep using the breakout box though because the two cards have slightly different breakout connectors. But only slightly. Looking at images of the breakout boxes on google, they appear to be basically, exactly the same between the Audigy 1 and 2, at least in terms of the I/O offered, and the connectors only differ in appearance slightly. Compared to the 1, the Audigy 2 has 3 less pins overall and the two distinct "sections" of the connector are swapped, but that's it. On the Audigy 1 its labeled with "JP1" and on the Audigy 2 its labeled with "J8".

All that laid out, does anyone know if there's resources out there for the pinouts of these connectors, or if its even possible to wire them around like that? Has anyone tried this before or have any tips for figuring it out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audigy 1 can use 5.25 inch panel from Live!, but you can't use it on Audigy 2. I could only assume same thing applies to breakout box, i.e. you probably can route it to Live! card somehow, but not Audigy 2.

I remember seeing in other threads here when trying to solve issues that the Audigy 1 is just better for DOS games, and the hacky solution for the Audigy 2 even makes use of the Audigy 1 DOS drivers, so, why not switch over to that one?

Audigy 1, 2 and 4 Pro are essentially the same DSP, with only minor tweaks added in later revisions. For DOS it's identical.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by Revolution

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Audigy 1 can use 5.25 inch panel from Live!, but you can't use it on Audigy 2. I could only assume same thing applies to breakout box, i.e. you probably can route it to Live! card somehow, but not Audigy 2.

Maybe I used the wrong wording for the things. I am referring to the 5.25in drive bays in the case of both cards.

I've attached some images to get at the idea better.

IMG_20210227_055118188.jpg
IMG_20210227_055122179.jpg
These two connectors are remarkably similar looking.

Audigy_1_livedrive_too_dark.jpg
IMG_20210227_055326619.jpg
And these two boxes have an identical I/O layout.

My thought is that it might be possible to just throw some mess of jumper wires together to hook the Audigy 1 card up to the Audigy 2's box. Maybe the pinouts are similar enough for it? But I haven't been able to find good information on the connections as of yet.

Reply 4 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Revolution wrote on 2021-02-27, 14:00:
Maybe I used the wrong wording for the things. I am referring to the 5.25in drive bays in the case of both cards. […]
Show full quote

Maybe I used the wrong wording for the things. I am referring to the 5.25in drive bays in the case of both cards.

I've attached some images to get at the idea better.

IMG_20210227_055118188.jpg
IMG_20210227_055122179.jpg
These two connectors are remarkably similar looking.

Audigy_1_livedrive_too_dark.jpg
IMG_20210227_055326619.jpg
And these two boxes have an identical I/O layout.

My thought is that it might be possible to just throw some mess of jumper wires together to hook the Audigy 1 card up to the Audigy 2's box. Maybe the pinouts are similar enough for it? But I haven't been able to find good information on the connections as of yet.

IMHO, you will be better off trying to use Audigy 1 DOS drivers on the Audigy 2 than trying to adapt the pinout to make an Audigy 2 drive work on an Audigy 1 card .
EDIT : I doubt the Audigy 1 will be any more compatible with DOS games than the Audigy 2 with Audigy 1 drivers .

AFAICT, here the pinouts for

SB Live! and Audigy 1 :
https://pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/creat … nt_pinout.shtml

Audigy 2 and X-FI :
https://pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/sb_au … xt_pinout.shtml

Reply 5 of 6, by Revolution

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SB Live! and Audigy 1 : https://pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/creat … nt_pinout.shtml […]
Show full quote

SB Live! and Audigy 1 :
https://pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/creat … nt_pinout.shtml

Audigy 2 and X-FI :
https://pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/sb_au … xt_pinout.shtml

This is very helpful! Seems like it should be possible from this, I might just try it today.

Reply 6 of 6, by Revolution

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ended up on a different solution entirely. Both cards are in the PC now, the analogue output of the Audigy 1 acts as the DOS sound output, the digital output of the Audigy 2 acts as the Windows sound output.