VOGONS

First post, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently got this card in a lot, but I can't identify it. Didn't find a match in gerwins list or the MV database from vogonsdrivers. There is no part number on it so maybe it's an oem card/clone? It's got a few MV chips: Jazz16 MVD1216b, MVA416, MVA514, also a LMSI/2 CD Rom Interface with an NCR Controller. FCC ID is IXW-JAZZ16LM2. Board says EPC-SOUN1621, too.Anybody know what this exactly?

Stock Jazz16 driver works, but the card is basically broken, very noisy on both channels, only very tiny and muffled sound on on speaker, volume wheel does nothing but horrible noise.. Also flux residue on the amp and volume wheel.

Quick question: Is there any easy way (by just soldering a wire, resistor etc) to bypass the volume wheel and/or amp?

Thanks for the time and input

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a genuine Media Vision Jazz16 card with the LMSI CD-ROM interface.

The part number is the FCC ID.

Just a less common version of the card. Most likely is came in a kit with a CD-ROM drive.

Edit: C1 (The red one) looks suspect. I don't see any other physical damage except for the electrolytic capacitors look kinda sketchy.

What system are you using this card in? Does your power supply have -5v ?

If not, then that is most likely your problem.

The card may also be speed sensitive... What is the CPU speed? Over 133Mhz may cause issues.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok thank you. I just thought genuine MV cards had a extra part number like 650-0007-03 or something on the pcb.

C1 looks better in reality, it just bent, but looks solid. I already replaced one capacitor which was partly ripped off before. Don't really feel like doing all of them tbh, since I don't really need a (another) Jazz16 card..

I've not tried in a system with -5v, are Jazz16 know for needing that? I thought its just the PAS line from MV? Maybe I have to wait until I get an -5v adapter, I don't trust my old crummy AT power supply anymore.

I've testesd the card with a 350MHz K2 and and a 33MHz 486SX and it behaves exactly the same, so thats not it either.

Thanks again for the input