VOGONS

First post, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently i swapped my CT2950 with a CT2290 in one of my rigs (ASUS P2B-F / Pentium 3 750mhz), as i posted here: Re: SB Pro 2.0 (CT1600) x SB 16 (CT2830 x CT2290 x CT2950)

At first it worked ok, in some quick tests. But now that i´m using it more some issues popped.
It is repeatable also, but not in the exact way. The issue is that i lose the SFX of the game (and often after that it crashes), but the FM keeps playing fine, in MSDOS and also Win 98 command prompt.

Some tests i´ve made:

1. D3D demo looping => SFX stops playing after a few seconds/minutes randomly. Try to start a new game and the computer crashes.
  2. Doom 1/2 demo looping => SFX stops playing after a few seconds/minutes randomly.
  3. Descent playing the demos after each other => SFX stops playing after a few seconds/minutes randomly.

When the SFX stops, if i quit the game and re-enter it the SFX will work again (no reboot needed), but then the issues seens to occur faster than before.

So the main issues are the missing SFX, and random crashes, which did not happen with the CT2950.

Could this be a capacitor issue on the card? Also, i didnt change any of the jumpers, they are the same way as when the card arrived.
Not sure if them could interfere with something, also my power supply is a modern one (no -5v rail, not sure if this could cause issues also).

Last edited by CesarDRK on 2021-03-05, 22:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-03-05, 15:36:

Is this only with Duke Nukem 3D? Have you tried different versions?

Tested Doom 1, 2 and Descent same issue as DN3D.
Actually i think the audio volume level i reported was just a coincidence, so i removed that from the main thread.

I´m using a fairly modern power supply, the -5v voltage reading states 0v. Could this cause issues?

Reply 4 of 5, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-03-06, 20:54:

I don't think it needs -5v and I assume it would sound distorted instead stopping SFX. Does the stopping of the SFX coincide with disk access? You might have some DMA conflict.

Well, this is strange. It is working now, i´ve completed all 4 episodes of Duke Nukem 3D without issues.
I think it was some fitment issue in the slot, as i removed the card to test in another PC (which worked fine btw), and then i put it back in the P2B-F and it worked fine.