VOGONS

First post, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all

My 486 system currently has an ESS1868f which I think is a pretty darn cool card. I like the FM quality and its SB Pro compatibility/quality.

There's only one problem with my specific card: I can "hear" the midi out messages in the left channel. It's faint, but it's noticable. Ticky ticky click clicky click.

So I want another (cheap) card that I can pair with this ESS card while being able to disable certain features while keeping only the MIDI port/gameport active. I think this will come down to the configuration tool/drivers ultimately. I'm trying to avoid the hanging notes so definitely not an SB16. I'd also like the gameport to not require softmpu. - it's not a huge dealbreaker but yeah.

Any suggestions? Does anyone already have this kind of setup going on?

Cheers

Reply 1 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-03-10, 07:39:

There's only one problem with my specific card: I can "hear" the midi out messages in the left channel. It's faint, but it's noticable. Ticky ticky click clicky click.

Interesting issue.

Did you try muting the Line In and the wavetable header of the ESS card? At the moment, I have this 1868F connected to a Roland SC-155 and have never heard those "MIDI ticks" on it.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... normally I'd say an SB16 with real OPL3 would be a nice paring (not that ESFM is bad, but having both to choose from is always better), but the one thing you don't want to do - for good reason - on any SB16 is MIDI.

The last SB16s (i.e. AWE64 and derived SB32) don't have hanging notes, but do still have slowdowns when MIDI is played at same time as 16b audio. You could look at an ALS100 (non-plus) or C-Media CMI-8330 for SB16-compatibility with bug-free MIDI. But if you really only want MIDI, basically anything with (non-buggy) MIDI will do the trick. HardMPU would be the most elegant option (failing access to original MPU401 or MusicQuest-type cards), but pretty much any stable card of decent quality from mid 1990s would do the trick if software MPU-401 UART is all that's needed.

Reply 3 of 5, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also go with an SB16 or AWE and use the ESS card for only midi...
You say you don't want it to 'require' SoftMPU... in that case you should get a HardMPU (or something that integrates it like the Orpheus). Of course this only matters for some mt32 games.

Reply 4 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP V.5 (AV310)

CMI8830/A chipset with WSS/SB16/Pro compatibility, Integrated 100% OPL3 clone, wavetable header and joystick port with bug free MIDI, SPDIF In/Out.

It basically adds everything the ES1868 lacks. Actually, the ES1868 becomes basically redundant, except for games that specifically support ESFM enhancements.

I have this card in my Slot-1 DOS streaming build and I absolutely love it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 5, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-03-10, 08:07:

Did you try muting the Line In and the wavetable header of the ESS card? At the moment, I have this 1868F connected to a Roland SC-155 and have never heard those "MIDI ticks" on it.

it only clicks while using the gameport. when i was using the dreamblaster x2 i didn't hear anything. so i think it's just the board or capacitors nearby. i will attempt a recap one day (maybe replace the line out jack).

dionb wrote on 2021-03-10, 08:14:

Hmm... normally I'd say an SB16 with real OPL3 would be a nice paring (not that ESFM is bad, but having both to choose from is always better), but the one thing you don't want to do - for good reason - on any SB16 is MIDI.

The last SB16s (i.e. AWE64 and derived SB32) don't have hanging notes, but do still have slowdowns when MIDI is played at same time as 16b audio. You could look at an ALS100 (non-plus) or C-Media CMI-8330 for SB16-compatibility with bug-free MIDI. But if you really only want MIDI, basically anything with (non-buggy) MIDI will do the trick. HardMPU would be the most elegant option (failing access to original MPU401 or MusicQuest-type cards), but pretty much any stable card of decent quality from mid 1990s would do the trick if software MPU-401 UART is all that's needed.

Oetker wrote on 2021-03-10, 09:14:

You could also go with an SB16 or AWE and use the ESS card for only midi...
You say you don't want it to 'require' SoftMPU... in that case you should get a HardMPU (or something that integrates it like the Orpheus). Of course this only matters for some mt32 games.

i mainly want the functionality but keeping the cost super low. the card doesn't really need to do anything except be a midi output. those dedicated mpu401 cards are a bit more than i'm willing to pay. definitely a smart choice in the longrun tho. i may consider it one day if another sound card finds a way to be a pain...

appiah4 wrote on 2021-03-10, 09:22:
Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP V.5 (AV310) […]
Show full quote

Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP V.5 (AV310)

CMI8830/A chipset with WSS/SB16/Pro compatibility, Integrated 100% OPL3 clone, wavetable header and joystick port with bug free MIDI, SPDIF In/Out.

It basically adds everything the ES1868 lacks. Actually, the ES1868 becomes basically redundant, except for games that specifically support ESFM enhancements.

I have this card in my Slot-1 DOS streaming build and I absolutely love it.

this card is interesting... really interesting... i'll keep an eye out! mainly as its a sb16 clone and that's fairly uncommon, yes?

cheers for the answers guys 😀