VOGONS

First post, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again.

Lately a Soyo SY-6VCA arrived to me. Nice performing board (Apollo 133A) by the way, despite having a couple of bulging caps.
Paired with a PIII 600EB, PC133 256MB CL2 and a ATI Rage 128 Pro, everything works very snappy under W98SE, period correct games too.

My troubles began when I tried to make games in DOS to have sound...
I followed the guide by Phil´s Computer Lab to use Audigy2 drivers with Live! cards: https://youtu.be/2x6T_OWT0WU
Under Windows, sound is excellent, with both CT 4670 and CT 4830 Live! cards. Those would even play several DOS Mode games without trouble.

But some of them, like my all time favourite, Dune 2 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis won´t run under Windows.
Those would require going pure DOS and some memory management. Therefore I went this other route (also by Phil): https://youtu.be/f52bZzWs-u4

The guide about using Audigy drivers with Live! cards, won´t show you how to install/configure the cards under DOS. So I decided to try the method described in this other tutorial, (Phil again) https://youtu.be/z-HiLp5p820 (from minute 11:41 and on), which basically is copying a folder ("Livedos") to C: and executing "Liveinit". That worked for me in the past with other (440bx based) motherboard and a SB0100 Live! with its 1st party drivers.
No luck with the CT 4670 and CT 4830, no sound. Liveinit command executes and the cards supposedely initialize, but games won´t run.

Any suggestions on which way to go (especially DOS noob oriented ones) would be higly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 7, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-12, 17:56:

Live! cards are often incompatible with Via Apollo chipsets, at the PCI level. Try an actual Audigy2 with Audigy1 drivers.

Thank you!

I have changed irq setting on the SB16 emulation device (device manager) to 7 because irq5 seems to be used by the Via chipset for some purpose. I´ve heard about the difficulties with the Live! and Via Apollo, yes.
But the spare sounds cards I have around are those Live!.
I tried a ISA ALS-120 sound card which is easy to install (both Windows and DOS) and works ok (both Windows and DOS) but it lacks "general midi" sound. Not very period correct either, I belive it belongs to the 486 era.
I also own an Audician 32 (with Yamaha Opl chipset), but I like it and i´d rather keep it,this system is intended to be given away to a friend on his birthday...

Yesterday I decided using two cards at the same time, the PCI Live! for Windows games and the ISA ALS-120 for DOS ones (most I´ve tried play ok). Unfortunately the ALS-120 doesn´t produce sound in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which is kinda a must...

Reply 3 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phil's video is based on my guide: Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Sound Blaster Live! cards (version 3.1)

There shouldn't be anything special that you need to do to get the card working in pure DOS if you follow all the steps correctly. Assuming there isn't a hardware issue or a resource conflict of course.

Note that loading soundfonts is not possible in pure DOS. However, you will still get General MIDI functionality through ECW sets.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 7, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-03-12, 19:15:

Phil's video is based on my guide: Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Sound Blaster Live! cards (version 3.1)

There shouldn't be anything special that you need to do to get the card working in pure DOS if you follow all the steps correctly. Assuming there isn't a hardware issue or a resource conflict of course.

Note that loading soundfonts is not possible in pure DOS. However, you will still get General MIDI functionality through ECW sets.

Thank you!
Yes, he says in the beggining of the video he based it on your guide.
In his video he only shows how to do the install within Windows (even the Dos driver).
He doesn´t go pure DOS to do any configuration/tweaking or showing how games do sound in pure DOS (he does show games sounding in Windows DOS mode, only).

So, I get, from first hand (you), tthat one should not do anything within pure DOS to configure the card. Games would just sound when loaded without any previous command, right?
Thank you very much for your kind help!

Reply 5 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-03-12, 20:51:

So, I get, from first hand (you), tthat one should not do anything within pure DOS to configure the card. Games would just sound when loaded without any previous command, right?

That's right.

If everything is correctly installed, you should have sound in pure DOS by simply clicking Start > Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 7, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-03-12, 21:13:
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-03-12, 20:51:

That's right.

If everything is correctly installed, you should have sound in pure DOS by simply clicking Start > Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode.

Unfortunately it is not my case.
When I try to launch Doom, for instance the system reboots.
When I launch "SBEGO.exe" (inside the DOS driver folder) and start the test, I get the following message: "Error: Is SB Emulation Enabled??? ..."
In Windows, I do have an entry in device manager named "Creative SB16 Emulation", no conflicts, interrupt request 5 is assigned. Most DOS games tested uner Windows sound properly.
In BIOS, I disabled the "PNP OS Installed" feature. IRQ Resources are "manual" and I reserved IRQ 5 and 7 to "legacy ISA", as well as DMA 1 and 5.

What I find weird, is that the part that reads "PCIPort" and "PCI IRQ" in the Ctsyn.ini file, those two values are "0". I´ve tried changing them to "DC00" and "5" respectively, nothing improves. When I restart the system those values in Ctsyn.ini go back to "0"...

Can someone who successfully got the CT 4830 working under DOS share the Autoexec.bat, Config.sys and Ctsyn.ini values?

Thanks again!