VOGONS

First post, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I found that there is PC/PCI soldering points on my old Dell Dimension 2100 model. It's got a Dell custom Intel CA810E Motherboard which lacks several integrated components such as onboard sound card and LAN.

Still, it's got PC/PCI soldering points and it might work with my Aopen AW744L II sound card.

Both of them have PC/PCI soldering points without pins as you can see on the pictures. Well, I can simply solder pins and connect them together with jumper wires so it is not gonna be a problem.

But my question is will it work? I am currently using ymf744 dos drivers from the Vogons driver vault. Do I need to install more software to work or change settings on BIOS?

All I need to do is to set correct settings on setupds, right?

I just hope connecting the two won't blow up my PC.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jedikwon wrote on 2021-03-15, 02:10:

But my question is will it work? I am currently using ymf744 dos drivers from the Vogons driver vault. Do I need to install more software to work or change settings on BIOS?

No need to change anything in the BIOS. Just make sure you're using the correct DOS and Windows driver versions. I recommend the 1040 drivers for Win9x and the 3.16 drivers for DOS. Both are available from Phil's website.

All I need to do is to set correct settings on setupds, right?

Yup. For the DOS drivers, in setupds.exe select IRQ = S-IRQ and DMA = PC-PCI. Windows drivers will detect SB-Link automatically and it will just work (e.g. Duke3D will no longer crash).

I just hope connecting the two won't blow up my PC.

Make sure you connect Pin1 on the sound card to Pin1 on the motherboard etc. Those should be marked as such.

Also, if there are any unpopulated resistor or capacitor pads near the SB-Link header, you will need to solder on the missing components as well. Check this thread for more details: AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi