VOGONS

First post, by thefivetheory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an SC-55 MkII and a Roland UM-ONE (Mk 2) USB MIDI cable that I'm using with Windows 10 on my desktop. I'm messing around with trying to get a MacBook to use the SC-55 for DOSBox MIDI music via network, which has been challenging.

I can get the SC-55 to play MIDI from my MacBook via the network, as I can hear it on my desktop's headphones. I was under the impression that I should be able to send the audio back to the MacBook via network, but after further review I believe I likely misunderstood how this is supposed to work.

That said, I did notice that when trying various things that the MIDI OUT connector on my SC-55 never seems to actually do anything. If I move the (UM-ONE MIDI IN) plug to the MIDI THRU connector I can see a bunch of MIDI messages passing back to my desktop, which I confirmed in Kushview Element, but when connected to MIDI OUT on the SC-55 I get nothing at all. I just wanted to confirm whether this is the expected behavior or not. I understand there's no need/reason from a general sense for gaming with an SC-55 to need MIDI OUT, but I'm trying to understand why no data is going out over it at all. In what circumstance should data be transferred? What's the point of the MIDI OUT connector on the unit? I believe I understand the point of MIDI THRU.

Reply 1 of 2, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI THRU mirrors MIDI IN.

MIDI OUT outputs data generated on the device itself - such as : when you have used the unit's physical buttons to edit a track.

I believe some MIDI applications have a function called "Soft Thru" which can be activated in the software / via MIDI message, which will tell the Sound Canvas to pass it's MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT. The manual mentions it, but further information is sparse - perhaps somebody else has actual experience with it.