VOGONS

First post, by elsegundo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, was wondering what dos music tracker to use on this Sony Picturebook (comes with Windows ME for ref) I got recently, I know it features an xg soundcard and was hoping to take advantage of that..I loaded adlib and wasnt able to get any music playing, anything i could be doing wrong?

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elsegundo wrote on 2021-03-21, 00:16:

Hey all, was wondering what dos music tracker to use on this Sony Picturebook (comes with Windows ME for ref) I got recently, I know it features an xg soundcard and was hoping to take advantage of that..I loaded adlib and wasnt able to get any music playing, anything i could be doing wrong?

Could you be more specific about what sound card you have exactly in that machine ? XG does not say much (you could have a Yamaha chip based card of some kind or be referring to an XG MID software synthesizer for all we know) .

If your sound card can work with DOS trackers (if it has sound blaster or WSS compatibility), great . If not, there is also the option of using a Windows program to play tracker music .

EDIT : XMPLAY is one such Windows application . https://www.xmplay.com/ You main need to try an older version if the newer ones no longer support Windows ME .

Reply 2 of 10, by elsegundo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-03-21, 01:39:
Could you be more specific about what sound card you have exactly in that machine ? XG does not say much (you could have a Yamah […]
Show full quote

Could you be more specific about what sound card you have exactly in that machine ? XG does not say much (you could have a Yamaha chip based card of some kind or be referring to an XG MID software synthesizer for all we know) .

If your sound card can work with DOS trackers (if it has sound blaster or WSS compatibility), great . If not, there is also the option of using a Windows program to play tracker music .

EDIT : XMPLAY is one such Windows application . https://www.xmplay.com/ You main need to try an older version if the newer ones no longer support Windows ME .

Okay, well a cursory check of audio settings shows this to be a yamaha ds-xg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF7xx
wiki returns this result, is there a way i can find out more info on my picturebooks yamaha xg model? Cant track down an official spec sheet

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elsegundo wrote on 2021-03-21, 05:37:
Okay, well a cursory check of audio settings shows this to be a yamaha ds-xg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF7xx wiki r […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2021-03-21, 01:39:
Could you be more specific about what sound card you have exactly in that machine ? XG does not say much (you could have a Yamah […]
Show full quote

Okay, well a cursory check of audio settings shows this to be a yamaha ds-xg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF7xx
wiki returns this result, is there a way i can find out more info on my picturebooks yamaha xg model? Cant track down an official spec sheet

Assuming you have a YMF7x4 series card, you should look at this guide . Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide To be sure, please download and run pcilist.exe under Windows and post a screencap from sound card info . Link http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html .

Assuming that is the card type that you have, DOS compatibility will be limited to 8-bit stereo SB Pro compatibility. You will need run DOS applications under Windows as Windows ME will not allow you to access pure DOS (unless you apply a patch).

So, if the DOS tracker or module player that you want to use is SB or SB Pro compatible and is capable of running in a DOS window under Windows, it should just work .

Considering the limitations of SB Pro mode and Windows ME, I suggest that you consider using a Windows based tracker or module player, for best audio quality (16-bit vs SB Pro's 8-bit) .

Reply 5 of 10, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Flip the machine over and tell us which specific model this is. It should start with PCG- and has a 4 digit number.

Reply 7 of 10, by elsegundo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-03-21, 14:13:

Flip the machine over and tell us which specific model this is. It should start with PCG- and has a 4 digit number.

Pcg-141a
also its a PCG C1V1 for reference

Reply 9 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elsegundo wrote on 2021-03-21, 20:40:
Rawit wrote on 2021-03-21, 14:27:

Does it need to be DOS? There is a MilkyTracker binary for 9x & ME.

would that utilize the onboard yamaha synth?

The onboard Yamaha synthesizer is only accessible through MIDI . Trackers (for MOD, S3M, XM, IT, etc files) either do mixing in software or can use hardware mixing on cards that allow lower level access, such as a Gravis Ultrasound, AWE32/AWE64, SB Live! , for example .

If you intend to use a MIDI accessible synthesizer, you need a sequencer, not a tracker .

Reply 10 of 10, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elsegundo wrote on 2021-03-21, 20:40:

would that utilize the onboard yamaha synth?

No, see Darry's post. But it does offer 16-bit/44khz/48khz mixing instead of 8-bit/22khz SB Pro compatible mixing.

YouTube