VOGONS

First post, by oguzog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can this be possible using midi-USB converters?

Than I can use dosbox or scummvm with MT-32?

If it is possible. Does it matter what kind of soundcard i use?
And will it be better than MUNT?

Reply 1 of 7, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can and it has nothing to do with any soundcard unless you are piping the MT-32's output back into a link in on a PC to do mixing there rather than an external mixer.

Some people might find extremely minor differences, but with how much a real MT-32 costs there's not really any reason to use one over MUNT. Any modern PC is more than powerful enough to run MUNT and an old game that utilizes it.

If you already have an MT-32, get a good USB MIDI cable like a Roland UM ONE, they are handy to have for other MIDI modules as well. Then do an A to B comparison of real hardware compared to MUNT. If you don't have an MT-32, just save yourself a bunch of money and stick with MUNT.

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Munt has evolved to a level at which it has almost no bugs anymore and pretty much behaves the same as the MT-32 (or CM32L).

Which is no surprise, since it runs the same program with the same data as the real thing.

However, there might be minor differences.
The DACs, the physical MIDI interfaces, etc.

I'm mostly using Munt nowadays, too, even though I do own an MT-32 (and another LA synth).

The reason why I keep my MT-32..
- As a reference / for testing purposes
- Because of nostalgia
- To have an authentic rom set

That being said, the USB MIDI cables are a double edged sword.
They are cheap and plenty available, but their quality is extremely varying.

For example, most are missing essential components (opto-coupler, caps, etc) or do support only 4 Byte (or 3 Byte?) messages (note on/off etc), despite claiming support for 9 Byte messages (sysex commands etc).
https://forum.juce.com/t/midi-sysex-messages- … nterrupted/8608

This will cause issues, such as stuttering, missing notes etc. Especially on Windows.

The wrong wiring also has several drawbacks.
For example, some USB MIDI cables only work if the PC and the MIDI device share the same ground!
So using a notebook and a MT-32 is likely going to fail.

That's utter nonsense and contradicts the MIDI specs.
The better cables do have opto-couplers, at least on MIDI-IN.

And the very good ones do have opto-couplers that are fast enough, even. 😉
(Like those with Schmidt-Triggers. PC900, H11L1M etc).

So I think for starters, Munt is much better.
Some inofficial releases of DOSBox or ScummVM do have Munt built-in, which avoids sending MIDI messages through the operating systems.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-17, 10:06:

Just use a genuine Roland USB to MIDI converter 🤣. Then you will be fine.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BardBun wrote on 2021-04-17, 11:45:
There is a Midi-to-USB cable you can buy that has been specifically made to be used with the Roland MT-32 on Windows 10: https:/ […]
Show full quote

There is a Midi-to-USB cable you can buy that has been specifically made to be used with the Roland MT-32 on Windows 10:
EBaZROi.png

Looks good! 👍

canthearu wrote on 2021-04-17, 12:35:
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-17, 10:06:

Just use a genuine Roland USB to MIDI converter 🤣. Then you will be fine.

Nah, where's the fun in it? 😉

Seriously, though, that's a good idea.
While I don't have faith in brands, in general, I think that such a model
has a higher chance of being a quality product.
I mean, if it was poorly done, Roland would risk its good reputation..

PS: Cheap interfaces may work, too, if a workaround is used.
Like using an external opto-coupler for MIDI-IN.

(I did that by using a DIY interface on the reception side for my Pi running MT32-Pi instead of an ordinary USB MIDI interface..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43kYMGZhKk )

In some cases, when you open a cheap USB MIDI interface, the PCB has preparations for the right parts, though. 😀
They are just not installed by default; instead a bypass is used (wires, resistors).. 🙁

https://karusisemus.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/ … w-to-modify-it/

(Opto parts are commonly used on MIDI-IN only, which is okay.)

Edit: Typo fixed.

Attachments

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also built the MT32-PI hat:

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18874951/

MIDI specifications actually say you need to use an optocoupler in the input circuitry. Having a cable with builtin optocoupler is a workaround for devices which do not follow the specifications.

I mean, optocoupled inputs are not expensive to make, just the cheap clones want to be as cheap as possible.

Anyone making MIDI devices in a serious manner will definitely be doing the right think, so I doubt Roland would ever scrimp on the correct input section unless it was an internal connection between devices (say, wavetable header)

Reply 7 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BardBun wrote on 2021-04-17, 11:45:
There is a Midi-to-USB cable you can buy that has been specifically made to be used with the Roland MT-32 on Windows 10: https:/ […]
Show full quote

There is a Midi-to-USB cable you can buy that has been specifically made to be used with the Roland MT-32 on Windows 10:
EBaZROi.png

Yep, this is it. I use it the other way - midi emulator to a PC for DOS. It has an input port that you could use to send midi commands to an external module.

If your plan is to use it for DOSbox, IMO MUNT does make a lot more sense.