VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

So I built a Pentium 3 600 for DOS and Win 98/glide gaming. I've already purchased an Ensoniq Auido PCI because it was the only real cheap card I could find on ebay. I know it will work in DOS so that is not an issue for me. My question is...

I would like to purchase a Resound 2 OPL3 8 bit ISA Adlib clone https://texelec.com/product/resound-2-opl3-8- … ble-sound-card/ and use it for music when playing games in DOS. I know I would have to change IRQ settings, but

1) is it possible to have a setup where I can use the Audio PCI for sound effects and the Adlib for music?

2)Do I just run a 3.5 audio cable from the Adlib out to the Audio PCI Jack line in?

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 4, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have any experience with those ensoniq PCI cards but I do think it'll work. If there's a way to disable the FM emulation in the drivers that should be enough.

Just a short cable will do yep.

Reply 2 of 4, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-04-19, 00:02:

I don't have any experience with those ensoniq PCI cards but I do think it'll work. If there's a way to disable the FM emulation in the drivers that should be enough.

Just a short cable will do yep.

Thank you.
I'll just have to figure out how to do that

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AdLib and IRQ? Not totally sure about the Resound, but the regular AdLib didn't need an IRQ, just an address to write to (0x388).

Because it was write-only, you can have multiple cards with something at that address without conflict, you just need to mute all but one of the outputs, or conversely switch to the correct input (depending on how you wire stuff up).

Reply 4 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adlib is not write only, it has a status register which is used for the timers and detection purposes. It occupies 388 and 389 for OPL2 and additionally 38A and 38B for OPL3. Multiple cards responding to the Adlib addresses will produce bus contention but most will respond nearly at the same time with same data so the problem is minimal. All the cards I have made offer option to make OPL2/3 write only, to prevent this bus contention problem when another card is present without such a feature.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜