VOGONS

First post, by paprika

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I just bought Maya 44 PCI sound card compulsively for EUR30 and before the package arrives, I've started to wonder: how good is it for retro machines? I can see the manufacturer has provided drivers for anything Windows 2000+ (not 98 though).

Is there a way to make it work under DOS? Any other insights about that card?

(Yes, I should have asked before buying.)

I remember Maya sound cards was a thing a decade or so ago, but then the subject seems to have died out.

--
Forgotten Computer
Computers and stuff at my YouTube Channel

Reply 1 of 4, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can find the review in Czech here: https://www.svethardware.cz/recenze-test-5-po … h-karet/16138-3
The driver is also available for W98SE, but it is .wdm, so I doubt the correct functionality under DOS. https://download.esi-audio.com/?w=esi&p=14&g=1&l=en

Reply 2 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paprika wrote on 2021-04-20, 06:24:

Is there a way to make it work under DOS? Any other insights about that card?

The Maya44 is based off the Envy24HT/PT chip so no DOS support. The original Envy24 did support Sound Blaster emulation under DOS when connected to an AC97 codec, but I haven't seen any card manufacture which provided an initializer/driver for DOS.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it is a nice card for sound production since it has very nice analog characteristics and has stuff like ASIO etc. but for games it doesn't support anything that would matter to them, in DOS (SB, FM, MPU401) or Windows (A3D, EAX). There's only most basic DirectX support.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by paprika

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great. Thank you all for answers. Given all that, I may end up using the card in my not-so-retro XP or Linux systems for sound recording.

--
Forgotten Computer
Computers and stuff at my YouTube Channel