VOGONS

First post, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I've been offered this 8bit ISA sound card from a local seller. It looks interesting, but I cannot seem to figure out what it is from the photos.
Sellers pic:

zgWfslz.jpg

Does anyone recognize it? Is it worth getting or no?
Thanks in advance! 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks it has dual OPL2 setup, and is probably SB compatible too, and probably is a reimplementation of SB Pro. It might be quite interesting to get if it is not expensive.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 10, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-05-10, 21:08:

It looks it has dual OPL2 setup, and is probably SB compatible too, and probably is a reimplementation of SB Pro. It might be quite interesting to get if it is not expensive.

I'm not so sure. If those two at the top of the cards are OPL2s, why do their stickers have different roman numerals on them, and where are their DACs? Unless their DACs live in that chip labled VIII...

Old precedes antique.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mihai wrote on 2021-05-10, 21:39:

Looks like a soundblaster clone. I would not bother with it.

Near the slot it says "Copyright 1990 U*NICOM systems."

* - unsure about the letter U.

I think it is:
Nicom Systems Inc.

The other writing of course says:
Sound Partner Stereo.

If it is indeed stereo, then it must either be a SB Pro clone or something else. The amp section looks better done than most cards and look at those 4 RCA connectors and the two 3.5mm jacks.

Whatever it is, if you don't want it, I would maybe like to get it. It is definitely a super rare card. I have never seen one before.

Where are you located? How much is being asked for it?

I'm trying to see if I can locate a web page for that company but wayback machine is having issues right now... or the internet connection where I am at sucks. Keeps giving me 503 errors.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I talked this morning with the seller to find an economic agreement, but I don't know who else wrote to him, and now he thinks he has a card so rare he can ask absurd prices. 🙁

Reply 6 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2021-05-10, 21:45:

I'm not so sure. If those two at the top of the cards are OPL2s, why do their stickers have different roman numerals on them, and where are their DACs? Unless their DACs live in that chip labled VIII...

DACs etc. for everything are definitely in the 3rd chip, it is where the analog functions seem to converge in. I would love to see under those stickers...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh the dawn of early sound cards... There are so many chips scratched clear or taped over.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aaronkatrini wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:19:

I talked this morning with the seller to find an economic agreement, but I don't know who else wrote to him, and now he thinks he has a card so rare he can ask absurd prices. 🙁

Well, when nobody bites then maybe he will come to his senses.

Without any real knowledge / drivers / documentation that card is pretty useless and not worth much IMO.

If it can't be used, the only value is the collector value.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-11, 15:05:
Well, when nobody bites then maybe he will come to his senses. […]
Show full quote
aaronkatrini wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:19:

Well, when nobody bites then maybe he will come to his senses.

Without any real knowledge / drivers / documentation that card is pretty useless and not worth much IMO.

If it can't be used, the only value is the collector value.

Nope. Just saw such a card for sale (#334392046995). Found it while browsing the electric bay and
entered the card's name on the PCB in a search engine.
That was a few minutes ago. Then I just landed here. 😔

Edit: The card is listed twice. 120E/180E. Same pic, though. Maybe an error.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//