VOGONS

First post, by adimifus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SOLUTION: The SC-88 defaults to GS mode when factory reset (initialized), which is the cause of my MIDI playback issues. Setting it to GM mode (powering on while PART > is held down) will switch it into GM mode

--------------------

I seem to have inconsistencies playing back MIDI files on my SC-88. Sometimes.

If I play back a file through any player I've tried, it seems to not want to set instruments on channels 1 or 9. This is independent of the system used. I've tried it on both my DOS PC (with a PCMIDI ISA card) and my main Desktop (with a Roland UM-ONE) and I get the same problem.

For example, PASSPORT.MID has channel 1 set to Honky Tonk, and channel 9 set to Orchestra Hit, but my SC-88 has them both set to the default "Piano 1". It also briefly displays "NO INSTRUMENT" on those channels when starting playback.

Playing back Doom E1M1 MIDI will leave channel 1 as Piano 1, but will occasionally change it to Distortion Guitar if I try enough times. When playing the actual game, however, it sounds fine every time.

I also have a Yamaha MU80 connected to the DOS PC (through a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru), which plays back MIDIs fine. Also, bypassing the splitter doesn't help, so that's not the problem.

I've tried initializing the SC-88 immediately before playback (powering on while holding Instrument < and >) but that doesn't help either.

Last edited by adimifus on 2021-05-18, 09:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

first, if you haven't, check the capacitors on the digital board - the chance of the stock caps leaking might be approaching 100% these days.

otherwise, try GM mode or a full factory reset; i forgot what to press for those, but it's described in the manual.

Reply 2 of 2, by adimifus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
auron wrote on 2021-05-18, 08:17:

... otherwise, try GM mode or a full factory reset; i forgot what to press for those, but it's described in the manual.

I did try factory resetting, but that didn't help. However, putting it in GM mode fixed the problem! I didn't realize the SC-88 defaulted to GS mode (I wrongly assumed GM would be default). I tried setting it into GS mode and got the same problems as before, so that was definitely the cause.

Thanks for the help!