VOGONS

First post, by retroboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an MSI 661FM3-V socket 775 board with an AGP8x slot, two PCI slots, and SiS661FX / SiS964 northbridge and southbridge respectively.
Unfortunately it doesn't have an ISA slot or an SB-Link header.
I have the AOPEN AW744L II, which has OPL3 in pure DOS, and good GM/XG support in Windows.

Are there any PCI sound cards I can use to get General Midi in real-mode DOS with this setup?

Reply 2 of 9, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't use a PCI sound card for DOS, but any card that can listen on port 300 or 330 can use external midi. I run my midi out to roland UM One USB midi interface on another PC and then use MUNT or the Roland VSTi plugins.

Reply 3 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SBLive / Audigy cards can provide General MIDI in pure DOS using ECW sets. It doesn't sound that great to me, but it works.

A better (and slightly more expensive) solution would be to get one of Serdaco's Chill adapters + whatever wavetable daughterboard you like, and then plug that into your Yamaha card.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 VirgeDX / OPTi 82C930 / AWE64
PC#2: Celeron 466 / Abit ZM6 / Voodoo3 / AWE64 / YMF744 / SC-155
PC#3: AthlonXP 1700+ / Abit KT7A / GeForce4 / SBLive / ALS100
PC#4: Athlon64 3700+ / DFI LanParty / 9600GT / X-Fi Titanium

Reply 6 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ESS cards also had software solution to pass ISA DMA via PCI, like some other manufacturers at that time. SB-Link standard was designed to work directly without a driver, just like a real ISA sound card, i.e. no memory managers shenanigans and waste of conventional memory.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Reply 7 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ESS Solo-1 doesn't have General MIDI capabilities under pure DOS. It only supports FM synthesis. See the product sheet here:

https://www.alsa-project.org/files/pub/manual … ess/DsSolo1.pdf

Of course, you can connect a wavetable daughterboard or an external MIDI device to it, but the card has no inherent GM of its own.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 VirgeDX / OPTi 82C930 / AWE64
PC#2: Celeron 466 / Abit ZM6 / Voodoo3 / AWE64 / YMF744 / SC-155
PC#3: AthlonXP 1700+ / Abit KT7A / GeForce4 / SBLive / ALS100
PC#4: Athlon64 3700+ / DFI LanParty / 9600GT / X-Fi Titanium

Reply 8 of 9, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retroboy87 wrote on 2021-05-28, 13:54:
matieo wrote on 2021-05-28, 11:04:

Have you looked at the viability of the ESS Solo 1?

Doesn't that require an SB-Link header on the motherboard though?

SB-Link is 100% absolutely not mandatory with ESS Solo-1; in the Phil's video (which seems to have confused the hell out of everyone not familiar with the card) he's just showing that capability as a side note, proving it exists or something.

While it does work fantastic (I'm using it all the time on a SB-Link -capable i815 mobo and am yet to discover a single DOS game refusing to work perfectly with it - other than the DOOM engine games, which work correctly in Windows with VxD drivers, but require the DOS32/A extender in pure DOS for some reason - but that's really the only exception I ever found), there are also at least two other strong chip/hardware-based legacy DMA compatibility measures, as was already mentioned (with the correction that it's not done by software, but by the chip itself, which makes it a truly CPU speed-independent solution).

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 9 of 9, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soundblasters PCI / Ensoniq Soundscape PCI has great GM waveable sound in DOS. But FM-emularion is terrible so I can't reallly reccomend it. I also don't know if it will work with your mainboard but as these cards are widely available and quite cheap it may be worse a try. (They are like Radeon 92xx or GeForce MX cards - you don't find them, they'll find you)