VOGONS

First post, by ranixon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to buy an old Sound Blaster card for a PC that I use to digitize old VHS because my integrated sound card doesn't work well (saturates because I can't control the volume on the VHS player) and the sound card of the TV tuner doesn't work. I friend lent me a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital SB 0220 and works great, I use (Arch) Linux so I have not problems with drivers on Windows.

The problem is, I don't know what to buy. I googled, Duckduckgoed and read Wikipedia, but I still not knowing what model is better. This are the ones that I found all on the same price range (1000 to 2000 ARS (Argentina), 10~20 USD). Ebay is discarded due the shipping prices and additional taxes on my country.

Live 24 bit SB 0410

Live 5.1 SB 0100

Live SB 0060

Live CT 4670

Live CT 4830

Audigy SB 0570

Reply 1 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In terms of features, the Live 5.1 SB0100 is the closest to the SB0220 that your friend lent you.

In fact, the SB0100 might even be a bit better since it's made by Creative instead of an OEM partner.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Main differences in the cards are

The Audigy Value 0570 lacks an EMU chip so EAX is done on software
The 2 Live 24 cards (CT4830 & 0410) are a cut down card of the above.
The Live Value 4670 is a "proper" Live with EMU10K1 chip
The Live 5.1 cards (SB 0060 & SB 0100) are the same as above with added ports for 5.1 speaker setup.

For gaming I'd go with either the Live Value or 5.1 but for recording audio they all seem to have about the same snr rating so it probably doesn't matter.

Reply 3 of 9, by Virtual

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I am looking into similar cards to buy, and I am unsure if I will go for a CT4670, SB0100 or SB0220.
In this case the SB0220 seems to be the Creative model and not the usual OEM model that commonly people refer to I think? (please check the attached photo)
This could be compatible with Audigy drivers and dos I believe.
This is going to replace an A-Trend Harmony 3DS719 ISA Sound Card // Yamaha OPL3-SA3 (YMF719E-S), which I bough last year and didn't really like because of the background noise...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Attachments

• sb0220.png
    Filename
    sb0220.png
    File size
    732.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    creative or OEM?
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 9, by ranixon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the Live 5.1 Digital SB 0220 still the better right? Because I find it a bit cheaper than the SB 4670

Virtual wrote on 2021-05-29, 13:40:
Greetings, […]
Show full quote

Greetings,

I am looking into similar cards to buy, and I am unsure if I will go for a CT4670, SB0100 or SB0220.
In this case the SB0220 seems to be the Creative model and not the usual OEM model that commonly people refer to I think? (please check the attached photo)
This could be compatible with Audigy drivers and dos I believe.
This is going to replace an A-Trend Harmony 3DS719 ISA Sound Card // Yamaha OPL3-SA3 (YMF719E-S), which I bough last year and didn't really like because of the background noise...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

As far I undestand, the SB 0220 is the Creative model, that what I see on the chip in the card.

Reply 6 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Virtual wrote on 2021-05-29, 22:53:

Let's see if someone can enlighten us.

From what we know, all SB0220 models are OEM cards, manufactured by Creative for Dell. Usually, they don't work with Creative's SBLive drivers and need a special driver version from Dell's website:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … driverid=r69382

Note that even OEM cards have the Creative logo on the chip.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using Linux and recording audio rather than playing games under Windows or even DOS, why do you even want a Sound Blaster specifically ?

There are plenty of old, well supported (under Linux) professional grade PCI cards to be found for very low prices . They will have better SNR, lower distortion, and likely a more stable internal clock (avoids audio-video sync issues) . Something from the likes of MOTU, Terratec, M-Audio, RME , etc would be on my list of options .

That being said, there is only really a point to this if the VHS tapes you are digitizing have a VHS HI-FI audio track (which can be of very high quality) . Additionally, if old high-end cards are rare and expensive in your country , but Sound Blasters are cheap and common, I understand why you would prefer to get one of the latter.

Reply 8 of 9, by Virtual

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-05-30, 03:54:
From what we know, all SB0220 models are OEM cards, manufactured by Creative for Dell. Usually, they don't work with Creative's […]
Show full quote

From what we know, all SB0220 models are OEM cards, manufactured by Creative for Dell. Usually, they don't work with Creative's SBLive drivers and need a special driver version from Dell's website:

Thank you for clarifying this. I'll gladly choose the SB0100 instead.

Reply 9 of 9, by ranixon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-05-30, 03:54:
From what we know, all SB0220 models are OEM cards, manufactured by Creative for Dell. Usually, they don't work with Creative's […]
Show full quote

Oh, well than you. I ended buying the SB 0220 before reading.
Cancelled and I bought and SB 0100, cheapest than the SB 0220

And it's seems that the drivers are also in the Creative's page.

darry wrote on 2021-05-30, 04:41:

If you are using Linux and recording audio rather than playing games under Windows or even DOS, why do you even want a Sound Blaster specifically ?

There are plenty of old, well supported (under Linux) professional grade PCI cards to be found for very low prices . They will have better SNR, lower distortion, and likely a more stable internal clock (avoids audio-video sync issues) . Something from the likes of MOTU, Terratec, M-Audio, RME , etc would be on my list of options .

That being said, there is only really a point to this if the VHS tapes you are digitizing have a VHS HI-FI audio track (which can be of very high quality) . Additionally, if old high-end cards are rare and expensive in your country , but Sound Blasters are cheap and common, I understand why you would prefer to get one of the latter.

Not in my country, Argentina. As you said, high end card are not rare but they are something that I can't buy now (or may be some months, they cost more than the double, I'm a broke student). Alternatives to a sound blaster are old Genius cards for the same price or new generic cards. And buying from ebay implies 10 extra dollars for shipping and a additional 65% in taxes.