VOGONS

First post, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I can’t identify this sound card. Could you guys help me out a bit? It’s an a Packard Bell Legend tower. If I need to pull it out let me know. There doesn’t appear to be any stickers or markings on the opposite side of it.

Attachments

Last edited by MoG91 on 2021-06-05, 20:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, it looks like this sound card:

Aztech 16 bit ISA Soundcard and Modem. Help needed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-05, 21:08:

Hi, it looks like this sound card:

Aztech 16 bit ISA Soundcard and Modem. Help needed.

Yep I found it pretty easily from there. It looks like this thing is a massive headache to get working. Im just gonna throw this on eBay 🤣. Thank you so much for the help,

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Massive headache"?

Native support in Win98SE and Linux, Win95 drivers in that link, DOS just needs config tool (which can be found in the Win95 drivers). Note that you don't have the exact same card, the one from that link had a YMF289 (low-voltage mobile OPL3 with slightly different timings), yours has the plain old YMF262, the original OPL3. What you have there is an excellent SBPro2 clone with bug-free MPU-401 MIDI and WSS for 16b audio that matches the machine you found it in. Beats the hell out of most Creative SB16 bugfests. Throw it on eBay and the value of your machine drops as no longer complete and original.

If you really can't get it working, it would be another matter, but giving up before trying is pretty lame.

Reply 4 of 4, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-06-05, 23:53:

"Massive headache"?

Native support in Win98SE and Linux, Win95 drivers in that link, DOS just needs config tool (which can be found in the Win95 drivers). Note that you don't have the exact same card, the one from that link had a YMF289 (low-voltage mobile OPL3 with slightly different timings), yours has the plain old YMF262, the original OPL3. What you have there is an excellent SBPro2 clone with bug-free MPU-401 MIDI and WSS for 16b audio that matches the machine you found it in. Beats the hell out of most Creative SB16 bugfests. Throw it on eBay and the value of your machine drops as no longer complete and original.

If you really can't get it working, it would be another matter, but giving up before trying is pretty lame.

It didn’t seem like people were speaking favorably online of this card. I read people having issues getting it working and I’m not always the best with this sort of thing. I was going to sell the complete PC on eBay and see if anyone was interested. The outer case of it is in really rough shape however. Ill take your word for it and I’ll give it a try in my main machine and see how I like it? If it’s an improvement over what I currently have or at least comparable I’ll keep it. I have a lot of stuff I’m still trying to sort through. Which is why I post stuff I have questions about pretty sporadically. Thank you for responding and giving a little advice,