VOGONS

First post, by Tavisco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm almost finishing building a Windows XP retro-gaming machine and now I'm in the process of acquiring a CD/DVD drive, but most of them don't come with said cable. As I've read here on the forum, CD-Audio cable seems very important to Win9X/DOS builds but didn't see nothing about XP. I should source a drive that has the digital out output and accompanying cable or it should make little to no difference in my use-case?

The sound card i'm currently using is a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on how far back you are trying to reach with your library. After about 1998 or so redbook CD audio becomes very rare. There are a few games you might want to play with XP that have it, like Quake 2, but for the most part everything has switched to digital audio files by that time. I don't know of any games with redbook audio after the year 2000. Creative stopped including the header on their sound cards beginning with x-fi release in 2005.

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Above is correct but a bit of a fuller explanation, It's more down to driver then OS

WDM removed the need for the Audio cable
WDM drivers do exist for Win98/ME but EAX support wasn't included. This is why everyone prefers the VxD drivers, catch is you now need an audio cable.
XP also uses WDM drivers but now EAX was supported and the audio cable started to disappear.

Reply 4 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-11, 09:03:

WDM drivers do exist for Win98/ME but EAX support wasn't included.

Technically, WDM drivers do have EAX support on Win98, but game compatibility is a crapshoot. You randomly get buzzing, stuttering and crashes.

Even Creative's official driver CDs suggest using WDM drivers for audio creation and VxD for gaming under Win98.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on an old system the audio cable is always appreciated since you won't consume any bus resources to just play some audio tracks.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port