VOGONS

First post, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wondering if any one knows were u can get motherboard speakers for the beep sounds other then those crappy piezo ones that came with later cases. i looked on ebay there is a few on there but not many and sellers want stupid money to ship to canada for something so small

Reply 1 of 16, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those crappy piezo ones don't introduce magnetic fields inside your rig, like the older pc speakers do. The first thing I do when I come across an old PC is to dump the old magnetic pc speaker and replace it with small piezo one.

Reply 2 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know a hard drive magnet can pick up a full PC system unit right? If magnetic fields corrupted computers so bad, they'd have never worked with a hard drive installed.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 16, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

don't plan on using any hard drives in the system anyway going to probably do an ssd. plus i mean i seen cases were they mounted the speakers right to the HD cage without problem and hard drives already have magnets in them. it may cause an issue with a floppy disc but i doubt it the magnets on a tiny speaker are probably to weak to even do that.

Reply 4 of 16, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a 4 inch PC speaker on ebay for like 10 bucks. Big old honker that sounds great for my 80s DOS games, IMO. If you search "internal PC speaker" or "pc speaker" or like terms you can find them.

I bought this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281406575192?hash=it … B0AAOSwRl1d7uTh

And then I mounted it to the top mesh on my case (the radiator mounts) using long screws and washers.

Reply 5 of 16, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-07, 15:31:

You know a hard drive magnet can pick up a full PC system unit right? If magnetic fields corrupted computers so bad, they'd have never worked with a hard drive installed.

Yeah a single magnet sure can. But in HDD there is a "magnet assembly" which is a "closed" system of two magnets facing each other, so magnetic field doesn't "escape" that system. That's why HDD plates magnetic coating is not affected by those magnets. The PC speaker introduces a "free" so to say magnetic field in the system. But yeah, only HDD and floppies are concerned.

Reply 6 of 16, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never heard of a speaker magnet messing up hard drives or floppies, even in those AT cases where the speaker is mounted on the underside of the drive cage. You need a much stronger magnet to cause problems.

I agree that for old PC Speaker-only games these big speakers sound way better than a wimpy piezo, so for me they're a must in those scenarios. A piezo is OK if you just use the speaker for diagnosing boot issues and that kind of stuff.

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well anyway, ignoring paranoia of magnetism, all you need is any smallish 8 ohm speaker wired to a 4 pin wide, middle two pins absent header plug for XT through pentium, maybe 2 pin for MMX thru P4, check your board. You can find these in many old radios, toys etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lol. Some of my old systems have lasted over 30years without any effect from the speakers at t all.....😉 Some folk just worry far too much.

Where abouts are aaron158, I've got a few extras. I'm in New Zealand.

Apart from my third eye crt television never had on effect at all as well...😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 16, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-07, 17:48:

paranoia of magnetism

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-07, 18:00:

Lol. Some of my old systems have lasted over 30years without any effect from the speakers at t all.....😉 Some folk just worry far too much.

Are you sure ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation
Scroll down to "Magnetic media"

Reply 10 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zerthimon wrote on 2021-07-07, 20:49:
Are you sure ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation Scroll down to "Magnetic media" […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-07, 17:48:

paranoia of magnetism

Are you sure ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation
Scroll down to "Magnetic media"

He is sure so am I and we have been using this stuff for over 2 decades....😉

If was bad you wouldn't use crt monitors which will have more effect than a piddly pc speaker.

Reply 11 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, let's never underestimate the power of magnetic fields.
They aren't as good understood yet as pure electric ones.
However, what I'm more concerned of than a speaker's permanent magnet are chassis fans.
Fans generate both types and they move.
So they could cause RFI noise inside the case and among the +12v power rail,
which is the primary one in a PC (aside from - 12v and +5v in vintage PCs).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-07, 22:45:
Well, let's never underestimate the power of magnetic fields. They aren't as good understood yet as pure electric ones. However, […]
Show full quote

Well, let's never underestimate the power of magnetic fields.
They aren't as good understood yet as pure electric ones.
However, what I'm more concerned of than a speaker's permanent magnet are chassis fans.
Fans generate both types and they move.
So they could cause RFI noise inside the case and among the +12v power rail,
which is the primary one in a PC (aside from - 12v and +5v in vintage PCs).

Then just put your tinfoil hat on for Petes' sake man.....😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-07, 23:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Caluser2000 No need for a tin foil hat. In fact, it doesn't even protect from magnetic fields, just the electric ones. 😀

If you don't believe in the power of magnetism, please have a look at the wonders of magnetic loop antennas.
People still debate how dangerous they are (when used for transmit): https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/safe … c-loops.741577/

EM fields as generated by chassis fans are very weak by comparison, of course.
Still, the principle is still valid (both use coils, too) - they could cause more trouble than the speaker, afaik.

Btw, the CRT inside a traditional monitor is working like a little particle accelerator.
Any particles of dust and dirt on its screen side get literally smashed into the user's face.
So better keep it clean and keep the floppies at distance. 😉

Edit: I forgot. Stepper motors with their big magnets do function different than conventional motors (cause little RFI).
The principle is very interesting and worth a read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Good night folks and have nice day! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-07-07, 23:03:

This thread is laughably absurd

And here I am with all this perfectly functional spinning rust without a care in the world.

Yip. It's bloody hilarious...😉

Attachments

• 20130104_101244.jpg
    Filename
    20130104_101244.jpg
    File size
    736.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • theyareback.jpeg
    Filename
    theyareback.jpeg
    File size
    452.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 16, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lol. Some of my old systems have lasted over 30years without any effect from the speakers at t all.....;) Some folk just worry […]
Show full quote

Where abouts are aaron158, I've got a few extras. I'm in New Zealand.

Apart from my third eye crt television never had on effect at all as well...😉

i'm over in canada